Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 31 06-05-2009 , 09:27 PM
Subscriber
South Auckland, what about you?

that's some pretty awesome modeling on the rotor blades

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 32 06-05-2009 , 09:38 PM
Banned
Down in chch, where getting snowed on this week user added image
Yeah cheers, wish i could have modeled the rest of the model with as much detail. But it slows me up too much.
Im having problems executing my .sh file, im in the right directory but am just getting the "More than one file name is not allowed: -r ..." error. So maybe i will just render one at a time until i find the problem

# 33 06-05-2009 , 10:50 PM
Subscriber
i assume the error would be to do with your .sh file

what did you type in it?

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 34 07-05-2009 , 12:36 PM
Banned
/Applications/Alias/maya7.0/Maya.app/Contents/bin/Render -r mr -rd /Users/Documents/maya/projects/chinook/scenes 2.mb
/Applications/Alias/maya7.0/Maya.app/Contents/bin/Render -r mr -rd /Users/Documents/maya/projects/chinook/scenes 3.mb
/Applications/Alias/maya7.0/Maya.app/Contents/bin/Render -r mr -rd /Users/Documents/maya/projects/chinook/scenes 4.mb
/Applications/Alias/maya7.0/Maya.app/Contents/bin/Render -r mr -rd /Users/Documents/maya/projects/chinook/scenes 5.mb
/Applications/Alias/maya7.0/Maya.app/Contents/bin/Render -r mr -rd /Users/Documents/maya/projects/chinook/scenes 6.mb
/Applications/Alias/maya7.0/Maya.app/Contents/bin/Render -r mr -rd /Users/Documents/maya/projects/chinook/scenes 7.mb

for all the scenes i want to render. Read in another simplymaya thread that you have to specify the render in the maya.app for it to work. So i have added that line

Some more renders. Rear of the carriage has more detail. Will post some pics if i fix my rendering problem

Attached Thumbnails
# 35 27-05-2009 , 12:42 AM
Banned
i have started texturing. Don't know if its going to be a good first attempt. But im gonna give it a go. Any tips would be appreciated

Does anyone know where to find a template of all the aircraft symbols - have been looking everywhere. There must be one out there somewhere
Cheers
Mark

Attached Images

Last edited by meredith; 27-05-2009 at 12:49 AM.
# 36 27-05-2009 , 01:41 AM
So that is your first try at texturing?

It does not suck too bad. But don't worry with practice you'll improve. LOL

It's like that famous Leonardo da Vinci quote ... "Well here is my first portrait I have ever painted. I think I am going to name it The Mona Lisa aka La Gioconda. I hope you think it is okay."

It looks freaking perfect! Good job.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 27-05-2009 at 01:46 AM.
# 37 27-05-2009 , 02:21 AM
Technical Director
Hey mate. It doesn't look bad at all! It needs a bit more dirt however. It looks too clean. An easy way to do this, is create an ambient occlusion texture, then put the dirt where the map is dark. This (usually) gives you the points that dirt and grime would naturally accumulate.

With the render.... That shouldn't be taking that long to render.

In the render globals, delete any physical sky, or image based lighting you have under the mental ray environment tab. See if that changes anything.

Also, if you have a large sphere with an orange color on it encapsulating the scene, pull down the amount of orange. That might fix the color problem.

You might also want to take a look at what your raytracing, and final gather settings are at. Try playing with the final gather accuracy, and the point density. Usually you can get away with 0.5 point density, and a lower accuracy with no real problems.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 27-05-2009 at 02:24 AM.
# 38 27-05-2009 , 04:38 AM
Banned
ctbram: Thanks dude, cant say its my first time. Had a few goes a few years back. But forgot how to get those checkers flowing together !!:angery:
Thanks for the words of wisdom. Love the work of Leonardo - if only i am such a perfectionist

Next-Design: Thanks heaps, have tried adding some more dirt. I used the base texture in maya and then added in photoshop using layers to add dirt. I'm not familiar with occlusion textures. Is this any different? Do you have any good sites?
I am using maya software to render the last few shots. Was just the clay renders in mental-ray that was clogging it up. Thanks heaps for tips. I'm gonna go play with them.
Cheers boss
Mark
P:s is using automatic mapping, then stitching the model a bad method of mapping. I just cant be bothered assigning materials and mapping the old fashioned way

Attached Images
# 39 27-05-2009 , 06:56 AM
Banned
Hey guys, i'm really loving photoshop and texturing and have a question before i carry on. I am noticing that theres some pritty nasty pixelating happening on close ups. I have been texturing the uv map of the chassy of the helicopter that was at resolution 1024. But as you can see there no crisp lines on the text or bump maps. Could someone awnser why?
I don't know if 1024px is high enough or 72dsi isn't high enough?
Any help would again be appreciated!
Mark

Attached Thumbnails
# 40 30-05-2009 , 06:46 AM
Technical Director

Originally posted by meredith
I don't know if 1024px is high enough or 72dsi isn't high enough?
Any help would again be appreciated!
Mark

1024 is usually not enough for close up renders. Generally 2048, or even 4096 are used for high detail work.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 41 04-06-2009 , 10:23 PM
Banned
Ok thanks heaps!
I decided to finish uv mapping then export at a higher res and then texture. Hopefully this way my detailing wont all be for nothing.
Would you recommend that i group areas of uv maps into its own texture. For example i finished the rotors below and have moved them into there own map. I am wondering if i should have a separate map for the interior/cockpit/rotors/and body? I guess i could then export at different res depending of quality
Thanks heaps for your help, i am soo over uvs and running out of enthusiasm
Mark

Attached Images
# 42 09-06-2009 , 11:37 AM
Banned
almost finished the uv's, added door into window frame

Attached Images
# 43 09-06-2009 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber
i think as long as the UV groups make sense to you and anyone else who's working on the model (in this case just you) it would be fine

hope you're going to resize the UVs of the main body, those checkers are looking mighty huge compared to the rest of the chinook

# 44 14-06-2009 , 09:11 AM
Banned
Chirone: Scaled those uvs
All ready for photoshop.

Attached Images
# 45 15-10-2009 , 09:05 PM
Banned
Im back... seperated the textures into
* chasey and all outside material (4098 * 4098)
* cockpit and inside (2048 *2048)
* rotor blades (1024* 1024)

Will this work... i've spent soo long mucking round with how i should lay out my uvs on a map, even though i've unwraped them all. I keep worrying that the weapons have too little detail.
Heres what the chassey map looks like

Attached Images