Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 03-04-2008 , 02:42 AM
Ok thanks for all the answers user added image, I'm not sure in which direction I'm going but I'm going to start taking art classes etc, which are required for the bachelor's anyways. Thanks again

# 17 03-04-2008 , 04:04 AM
Acid44
whether or not drawing is important art classes are a must in my opinion cause you need to know the theory and all that that they teachuser added image

# 18 03-04-2008 , 05:39 PM
Subscriber
Ok LukyCat and Rhetoric Camel-

Out of anyone that kinda get what I mean is Acid44,Renu and Laurie Priest, So as for the rest of you that think you can just get by not understand or know what it mean to communicate through drawing, oh well to each his or her own.

But I tell yah, someplace somewhere will force you to go back too the drawing board and communicate the skill of drawing, rather it's animation or illustration no matter where you are in you career path.

LuckyCats dudes come down it's ok my friend, and you as well Rhetoric Camel.

All I am saying is it all starts with pencil and paper, that where the imagination takes place and from there explode into whatever that tickles your fancy.

Alexander H-

Hey man I can not speak for all companies out there n=but the team I was with, is a company that I can't say on this thread, but really man you seem to have what it takes as for what you wrote in your message response. Network, and Network as much as u can.

Go to Comic Cons in places like Cali , New York and other big city places like that to network until you land into the right circles of people whom can help guide you to where you need to be. Go to the companies or mail too them to setup an interview, show 2-3 of your best samples of what ever you fill is good along with "Anatomy Drawings" to give a well rounded sense of what you can do or bring to their group of artist, Managers also look to see if you can fit into their network of artist as well, someone someplace will see your potentials and maybe offer you a job.

It also may help if you freelance for an animation company to if you can find one that offers this, based on your working skills during t hat time and if they like your work, they will slowly start to develop relationship with you and you services, and I tell yah , you will be one of the first that they will consider when the chance presents itself. sometime this can take a while but yah want to be there so when it does, you will have a good shot at get hired on full time.

As for the Comic Cons, Animators ,Illustrators are always at these kinds of events. Have some sort of Business card on you to exchange with them. Do not be afraid to approach new people that does not fit the mold, Network, Network, Network as much as you can, during these times

Sometime in this field I have learned that you may have to start at the bottom and work your way up depending on what you bring to the table and whom your interviewed by.

Timing is also important, so you need to be on top of the networking thing and get to know more people whom are active in the animation field to get there side of the story as well, good luck to you.

Again,,, LuckyCat chill please bro,,,, user added image

Savnac

Last edited by Savnac; 03-04-2008 at 06:23 PM.
# 19 03-04-2008 , 05:58 PM
Subscriber
JBannick-

Hey man, not to get into a brawl with those guys but all I really mean is for you to think ahead for a second. What if you do get into a position and start at the bottom ranks, right ,,, so at some point and time, if your strong suite is not drawing, ok ,, at some time find a way to communicate your thoughts so that those whom are very good at drawing will respect your thoughts when faced with any task.

The other guys on this thread feels very passionate about what they feel they know and I have to respect that but at the same time. When you land a job somewhere in the big world of art. You will need this under your belt so that when you run into some person that will not respect what you can bring to the table you will be prepared. Be a jake of most traits in this field, master the understanding and theory like Acid44 said.

I work in the industry full-time and I have been and seen lots of things and places.
Good artist from the bad ones and I tell yah, sometimes your looked down on from those whom feel that they have the holy grail of drawing. It can become political, seriously.

In closing, I would like to say, good luck man and may all your wishes come true, one more thing, go out and find this book call "The Illusions Of Life" also the Animators Survival Kit. Read these from start to finish. Allow them to inspire you to appreciate what drawing and animation is all about and then ask yourself "where should you go from there".

I promise you, that from anyone that knows what they are talking about when giving advice will mention these books among others. Good Luck Man:attn:

Oh also LuckyCats u and your friend the Camel dude, If you listen closely too what I was really saying you would change your point of view. But if you want to argue, fight by words, yo man I have no time for it at all, so lets be friends and help a fellow artist out by stirring him in the right direction, not confuse him, in other words "pass it on" he will inspire someone someday as well saying something close to what this conversation is all about, who knows after getting into those books that I mention, he might be the next Glen Ken of Disney, look him up bro, peace!!!!!! and lets celebrate, I mean it sincerely.

Savnac :bow: :attn: :bow:

# 20 03-04-2008 , 06:13 PM
lol... right, nice argument thread.

all good saying 'dont argue' but then subjugating their opinions in the same paragraph.

please dont bring your working status into a thread to give yourself some kind of authority, the industry is very broad.

peace and love. user added image

# 21 03-04-2008 , 06:17 PM
oh right, i get it - you're one of those people who repeatedly misreads what others are saying and tells them to calm down until they do get angry. i half wonder if you're doing it on purpose.

as i think, everyone has already said, yes being able to draw is good. (if only so you have a pencil handy to use for jamming in...ooh, let me see. so many options..... am i getting there yet?)

you seem to think that there is only one right way of doing something and that all artshit is striving for the gold standard. (remember - it's your gold standard)

if you spend any time looking at anything you'll notice that there is good stuff and bad stuff. and that's good cos the crappy artists need jobs too and that's sometimes where the new exciting stuff comes from.

you also seem to be looking down on everyone assuming that they haven't read the books that you've read. i noticed that you still haven't told us exactly what it is you do - a link perhaps to your company? or some of your work?

i did think twice about replying as i know no matter what i write you're only going to read what you want into it and tell me to calm down, but hey, it was either this or taking a dump.

Last edited by arran; 03-04-2008 at 06:21 PM.
# 22 03-04-2008 , 06:26 PM
Oh saznac-

I am nothing but "chill". Always. And I'm not your, or anyone else's bro. user added image

I think it's funny that you want to be insulting & denigrate others' opinions, but when you're called on it you resort to this "chill" and "peace" nonsense & say you have no time to argue. I've only posted two times to your five, so it seems you have more time than most of us.

I had more to say to you but I see that arran has said it better than i ever could.

Still- I have to ask- what exactly is your job again? And we have yet to see your drawings...

"peace"
user added image

summer challenge 2008 WIP

Last edited by luckycat; 03-04-2008 at 06:30 PM.
# 23 03-04-2008 , 06:26 PM
Subscriber
Laurie Priest-

It was not my intentions to do that but, I felt that being that I am active in this field I should give some sort of background, not to brag but be legit is all. I am no better then any of you. I see us as equals regardless, from artist to artist.

Peace!

Savnacuser added image

# 24 03-04-2008 , 06:35 PM
Subscriber
LuckyCat-

Please man, this is just a blog and yes I sometimes come here on my lunch break is all. sorry if it offends you. The bottom line is "Giving Constructive Advice" and that what I felt I did. Never meant to get into a brawl with you and your friend.

I've been into my career for at least 19 years. Again, there no need to prove anything to you at this point, you want drama, that I can not be a part of. What counts is what advice that JBannick can take away and grow from, seriously not this battle about my background or whom am I to know of what I am saying.

Laruri Priest is right about her point, so I wish you well and please if you ever have another person that asks about drawing, a word of advice, please stir them in t he right direction, allow then to learn all there is to learn about the beautiful things that drawing can offer.

Do not discard it, it is where our imagination sparks and wonderful things can grow from there. We are not all great at drawing yes but at least we should care enough about it to develop within, in order to appreciate it and respect it is all.

If in my words I have offended you in any way. please except my aplolgies.

Savnac:bow: :bow: :bow:

# 25 03-04-2008 , 06:41 PM
Acid44
i know ive had my fair share of arguments on this site but still im gonna say this: everybody relax and do what the pope would do...

user added image

fight off jango fett and save the world

# 26 03-04-2008 , 06:42 PM
Subscriber
Arran-

I am no better then you so please forgive my, seeming as if I know it all.

Did not mean to come off like that, and me saying calm down, I take it back ok, can we move on from here and focus on what information that the original thread person requested.

No need to gang up on me. I had an opinion and I gave it, I got attack by you friend and I responded. I got insulted to hear that drawing is considered second hand now and I think it's wrong, but again it's my opinion only can you respect that I respect yours, by saying that I may have said somethings that came off the wrong way, my apologies.

Savnac

# 27 03-04-2008 , 07:09 PM
Acid44
i saved the day!!!:p

# 28 03-04-2008 , 09:12 PM
ooooh a fight! i wanna watch!

kick their asses savnac! (lol riiiiiight.)

Accept no substitutions.
# 29 04-04-2008 , 07:57 PM
Acid44
lol, i dont see any jango blasting yet!!!

# 30 05-04-2008 , 12:06 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by acid44
lol, i dont see any jango blasting yet!!!

There is no jango left to blast cause he's on a playdate with the pope.. read the headlines man.

haha

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”