Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 08-07-2012 , 10:29 AM

Hi res hard surface modeling and normal mappig techniques thread;

Hi, i am planning to start a project to learn more about the hi res modelling and normal mapping techniques. I thought it would be nice to start a thread where people share their techniques and such.

I am having some problems while trying to get what i need while modelling for normal mapping. I have seen some tutorials but still, they are fast in time like 4X and can't see what exactly the mentor is doing.

Here's a hi res weap modeling from Tor Frick in his vimeo channel;

Scifi Rifle Modelling - part1 on Vimeo

And here is another one for modular environment;

3D modelling on Vimeo

Vitaly Bulgarov on next gen characters;

Character Design and Modeling for Next-Gen Games - YouTube

I want to start with working edges. Here's a question; What should be the right understanding for working with local extrusions and adding extra local edges for sharpening edges in subdiv meshes.

A basic mesh i did. On the 3rd one , say i just want to sharpen the bottem extrusion's edges and leave the top one round.. If i add an edge along the extrusions side, the one on the top also gets hardened. How should i edit my extrusions and edges for spesific parts of the model?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 08-07-2012 , 01:04 PM
The thin red line
I think the trouble you are going to have is you will create a flat edge on a rounded surface, you need to increase the number of divisions on you cylinder to say 30 or 60 then for 30 select 3 faces to extrude (6 for 60)...........dave

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 08-07-2012 at 05:12 PM.