Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 12-12-2012 , 04:36 AM

Maya Rigging Problems (IK with Contraints?)

Hi,
I'm having a problem with the IK system in Maya and would greatly appreciate any help you guys could offer me.

I have modeled a robot and am now in the process of rigging it. If you look at the attached pictures, you can see my predicament.

I have rigged the leg with Inverse Kinematics (IK).
However, I want each joint to have certain constraints. For instance, I want the first/top joint of the IK system to only be able to rotate around a certain axis. As well as this, I want the hinges/kneed joints etc. to also only be able to move in certain rotations.
I want each joint to have limitations, but for the leg as a whole to still work with the one control point.
Is this possible? I'm sure it is, as I know how to do it in Blender.
But now as this is my first time using Maya, I can't figure out how to apply individual constraints to each joint.

Thank you all for any assistance you can provide! user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-12-2012 , 03:40 PM
Does anyone know the answer to this?
Help please.

# 3 24-12-2012 , 11:10 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
To me I would place the IK handle at the top of the hip, not where you have it right now. Also place the character at zero in world space. The feet are below zero. Not and ideal place to be for a character

Jay