Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 04-05-2005 , 02:13 AM
Subscriber

Make Short Film Together

I was looking around and there are so many people on this website that can produce different levels of projects with Maya. I was thinking that if a group got together that we could collectively make a short film that was better than any one of us could do alone. Also you could work to your level. If you can only do simple things you could produce back ground objects or props. That way almost anyone could play a part. the more experienced users to concentrate on the harder parts. Everyone could work on it together and advice eachother on how to improve their parts. We could all render out a part at a time to spread the rendering out between several people. Everyone could learn from a project like this. I'm not sure exactly how we would get something like this going but if any one is interested leave a message here with any thoughts, ideas or suggestions about this idea. Thanks

CDV
# 2 04-05-2005 , 11:22 AM
It sounds very interesting but how do we decide who is who?

Who could handle the compositing and who has the hardware to render out such a project? We would need a project manager.

I've seen quite a few incredible modelers on this site but there doesn't seem to be a lot of everybody else.

I'd be happy to help by donating computer time for rendering.

Here's a question for the PRO cgi people in the industry;
Who has the responsibility of looking at a scene and deciding how to break it down into render layers, including mattes, mental ray setting, etc...? Are there standard worksheets that are filled out that show which elements go into which layers and which setting to use for each?

Last edited by Velusion; 04-05-2005 at 03:00 PM.
# 3 04-05-2005 , 11:36 AM
Subscriber
I talked about this before and another problem that came up was that people here are running different versions of Maya. Some may be running 6.5 but lots are still running 5 or even 4.5.

# 4 05-05-2005 , 12:38 AM
Subscriber

Chat possibility

We could set up some kind of chat, where we could all talk about what was even possible and how to go about it. Maybe we have people present work and members vote on who is best for each part. Maybe we find a really qualified person and he has final say in things. Like a head art director to help keep the vision uniform. whatever it is we could make it work. I have an extra computer that I could set up to do rendering 24/7. Lets start by having each person who leaves a message here to tell them what you are able to do. For example I am pretty new to Maya but I have a graphic arts back ground and could do many things. I know i could do simple models and 2D art work No problelm. If you leave a message tell some about what you can do Please.

CDV
# 5 15-05-2005 , 09:24 PM
hmmmm...really not bad idea, the problem is to realise it!
If nothing else it would be a good PROMOTION film for this website so I dont see any reason why not to do it!

It can be organised by making special forum just for developing this film where everybody could see different stages of developing(storyboard,sketches,pre-production,modeling,animation,post...)

If this idea pass,count me in!

Sorry for bad English-again

# 6 15-05-2005 , 09:30 PM
By the way I am good in modeling,animation and fx (not the best but good,in scale from 0-10 I'm 6.475 with positive rate of climb)

# 7 13-06-2005 , 04:20 PM
Wow! I found Someone that was thinking the same thing. Hey your in Florida too! My name is Chris Crowell and I have an awesome story for the movie. I have been working on it for some time now and I just don't have the time to deal with all of the aspects that go into making a movie. I came to realize that it is going to be impossible to make this movie by myself and I'm wanting to give up so bad. The story was a day that I actually lived. It is going to be from the view of me or first person. I am also a graphic artist and Web Designer. I am working with Maya 6.0 and I am good with animation. I can't model if it saved my life and that is where I am running into all of the problems. I need some models for the charaters land houses whatever. They all need to be the right size because I can't have a guy that is 3,000 times taller than the building. I am also having a problem with saving it as a movie file. I guess because I am working with a PC and not a mac? I don't know. What I did before was I modeled a gun and rendered frame by frame imported the fames into Flash MX and made a clip like that. Can SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME! I dont have anyone to talk to and knowone understands. I just can't go on man! Call me (813-833-8254)
Http://www.chriscrowell.com

I am the Lizard King I can Do Anything.
-Jim Morrison

Http://www.chriscrowell.com
# 8 13-06-2005 , 08:35 PM
Subscriber
It really sounds like an awsome idea. I'm in.

I'm still quite bad at rigging, but I can deffently model bagground stuff and add detail.

I got 6.5 complet.

Maya 4 ever baby!
# 9 13-06-2005 , 08:37 PM
same with me user added image

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 10 13-06-2005 , 08:49 PM
Location: Where do u think I am right now? Alright, I'll tell y' all... I'm at Gnomon Workshop and Highend3d sites...Hehehehe...just kiddin':)!!!!Oh, I'm not a ego member anymore? Cool!!!! I'm a Senior Member now!!!!
Hey, everybody, if you want, count me in.

I'm not good at texturing or FX, I'm more at modelin', rigging and animation. I've got Maya 6.5 Unlimited.

Anyone here plays Tibia?

Add me to your MSN list

Tibia is the best MMORPG that i've ever seen...xD
# 11 13-06-2005 , 09:56 PM
I have unlimited.... Just it's installed in my favourite computer at school....

# 12 14-06-2005 , 07:38 PM
Subscriber

From experience, I know there is a "version converter" on highend 3d. My school had version 6 and I was running 5, so I always had to convert it when I came from school to work at home so its very possible. Its a DOS based program pretty simple though.

I don't see it being a huge problem, I'd be done for a movie it had a good script idea.

https://www.verticalincline.com
# 13 14-06-2005 , 08:33 PM
Subscriber
A Maya collaboration project, interesting idea. Would love to see this go ahead

# 14 14-06-2005 , 09:28 PM
If this project takes way and is completed, it should be posted on website front page. Would be a great way to show how the members of this site work together so well. user added image

# 15 15-06-2005 , 02:31 PM
Subscriber
I suggest that people, who do have a idea for a short movie under 10min, make a reader friendly script and post it here. We can then vote on which idea will be put in production.

The writer of the script has then the responsibility of telling people what is needed to be modelled, rigged and animated (the essential stuff). People on this site will then sign up for the different tasks that are needed.

bagground detail can then be added freely, after the essential models and rigs are made.

that's my suggestion on how we could get started.......

Maya 4 ever baby!