Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 25-08-2002 , 01:26 PM

Did Anyone buy any DVD tutorial from Alias Wavefront...

Did any of you guys have seem or bought this DVD from Alias??

Maya Techniques | Patch Modeling for Visual Effects

Maya Seminars | Optimizing a Production Pipeline: Maya at Meteor Studios

Maya Techniques | How to Integrate Quadrupeds into a Production

Anyone give some reviews of opinion ...Is it advisable to buy from ALIAS WAVEFRONT.....Is there teaching aid that good??

Please some advise thank:banana:

# 2 25-08-2002 , 06:42 PM
Kevin
my friend has Maya Techniques | Patch Modeling for Visual Effects:

Im seeing him tomorrow so i will tell you more then mate, A little exspensive imo but .....

# 3 25-08-2002 , 07:27 PM

tHANK

Thank awaits your opinion.......

# 4 28-08-2002 , 09:12 AM
Kevin
Right mate, a little late but...

Probably the best one that I have seen, good help on patches and how they fit together, trouble shooting etc...

shows you how to use the patch technique for modeling a dragon, although it dosnt take you through the process, just the outline of the belly region, but fairly handy...

Also how to add more detail and to keep the contours flowing nice.. the guy seems to really know his stuff.

The vid is well presented and clear in both visuals and sound.

Im not sure how much this video is, but probably worth around $50-$70 is what I would pay...any more then that then would seem a little over the top.

But yeah a good vid.... but saying that, our taste may be totally different so dont blame me if ya hate it user added image

I dont think this would suit begineers either as some things are a little "taken for granted"

# 5 28-08-2002 , 03:49 PM
The Maya Mountain
Unfortunately, $50+ is a little much for me. I haven't seen any of the A/W vids or dvds, yet, but I really like the Gnomon ones. I was lucky enough to get a couple of free copies while I worked as a teacher, cuz they're pretty expensive, too...

# 6 28-08-2002 , 06:11 PM
Kevin
HOLY COW!!!!!!

I have just seen that this video is US $129.95!!!!!!

now this does REALLY change things!

Well...I wouldn't buy it

# 7 28-08-2002 , 06:18 PM
The Maya Mountain
Yeah, I would definitely recomend the vids and dvds you can get at www.thegnomonworkshop.com. They're still expensive, in my opinion, (between $60-80 ea.) but they're a bit more reasonable, I think. I've got Dynamics I, II, and III as well as Deformers II and III.

If I had the money, I'd definitely get them all, as the Gnomon instructors are very easy to follow. user added image I suppose they're what I aspire my site's tutorials being one day. user added image

# 8 28-08-2002 , 06:46 PM
Kevin
hmm..never really got on with the gnomon ones myself, some where ok, some where not.

the patch one is a lot better then any gnomon one I have seen... but different people...different tastes

# 9 28-08-2002 , 09:20 PM
uh....guys?.......we have some great tuts......hehe......VIP section?.....uh......yeah......check it out user added image user added image user added image

# 10 28-08-2002 , 09:42 PM
Kevin

Originally posted by Saiyan
uh....guys?.......we have some great tuts......hehe......VIP section?.....uh......yeah......check it out user added image user added image user added image

the ones in our forum are mainly for beginners, but eventually they will be quite advanced as we progress through..

allthough I would say that the sword and mech tutorials are in the intermediate level if anyone is interested

# 11 29-08-2002 , 09:44 AM
Kevin

Wow!

I just got to say... mtmckinley has just done us a vip movie tutorial on the arm stitching tutorial available in html format from his web site.

And I have to add that he has done a fantastic job!! very clear in his explanation great trouble shooting help...and he list goes on!!

Im not kidding when I say this, but I learned more from this in the way nurbs are attached then on any video..including the patch modeling one!

Excellent Mike !!

I just have to have a few final words with Mike then with his say so the tutorial will be realeased shortly afterwards!

# 12 06-09-2002 , 06:46 AM
Anyone tried to sign-up to the Gnomon Online? There plenty of movie tutorials there. I've been able to watch only the freebie movies since the system keeps rejecting my credit card for some (unknown) reason. I've been trying to resolve this by email and by phone without any luck user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 13 06-09-2002 , 07:36 AM
Kevin
Hey kbrown...welcome to sm mate!

I know a few guys who have access to the gnomon site who dont really like it. They said they expected maybe a couple of walkthrough tutorials but there are none... all models and scenes are already set up and there is just the instructors talking through the scene..

they dont even give you the scene file to practise on..

but... i may be wrong, so please correct me if this is the case

# 14 06-09-2002 , 07:38 AM
Kevin
oh yes and picking up on Saiyan's point..

I must admit that the vip tutorials are getting a little more advanced now, the tie fighter tutorial is a nice simple one, but the stitching / and the rigging of the mech that will ntake place will be good stuff

# 15 06-09-2002 , 08:13 AM

I have a quite complete gnomon video set...

I found the organic modeling is quite good but its for advance user.....the rest is just so so... yes only a instructor talking all the time "kept on talking and talking" its quite boring sometime and it put me to sleep sometime.....theres no file support too.... Actually i intend to purchase the DVD tutorial from alias ..but damn the price tag is not that friendly...damn $129.00 thats its expensive........ Lucky I come across this VIP section ....WHAT CAN I SAY MORE...it really teach quite a number stuff using maya to model...I use to get stuck and lost using MAYA ......but I hope my skill will exceed and improve in future staying in this forum....... :banana: