Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 03-03-2008 , 10:40 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Learning C#

Hello, World!

Well, I decided (Last night) to get myself in to programing. I have a few friends that do it, and I've always been interested, so what hell.. eh?

Couple of friends recommended C# So thats what I'm going to try. I can also move over C or C++ if the need be. As there built up on the same Frame work. Plus things like XNA, and Blitz are based on C# So I figure it's a good place to start.

Started last night reading up on the basics, and started creating a couple of Mini Games..... Ya gotta start somewhere user added image

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else around here was learning Programing, or is a programmer?

-Steven

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 2 03-03-2008 , 10:48 PM
take a look in the mel script & programming forum... you'll see who knows what down there.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 04-03-2008 , 01:24 AM
Subscriber
I'm currently learning mel at uni and in september will start working with C and C++ for use with areas like programme design and Maya's API.

Chris

# 4 04-03-2008 , 09:04 AM
@Neo: Yeah thanks for heads up, but that area of the forums seems pretty dead.

@Chris: Cool, I was doing some Mel scripting awhile back, but not as a serious endeavor, but to help out with setting up Maya nodes. Nothing too fancy.

C and C++ are great, and the good thing is once you learn one it's not too hard to transfer to the next, as there all built up on the same Frame work.

Anyway, good luck!

-Steven

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 5 04-03-2008 , 04:14 PM
Yeah, Ive done Delphi, C++ and am currently learning C# for my uni work, also MEL.

Are you doing the Microsoft tutorials, there pretty good.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 04-03-2008 , 05:33 PM
Think i'll start to look into XNA too.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 04-03-2008 , 07:59 PM
Well, It;s nice to see these forums are populated with programmers user added image ........ I'll probably be asking allot of questions, though I did find a good C# forum. Csharpfriend(DOT)com

I'm currently following the tutorials in this book: C# For the absolute beginner.(It's pretty good, very informal.) But I am trying to find other sources.

So, Me being a beginner, would you recommend learning C# or perhaps one of the other C's or perhaps even an other language? I've been reading online, and theres tons of Languages. I'm just curious.

Anyway, XNA would be great to learn. Start making some Xbox games.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 8 06-03-2008 , 10:15 PM
Hope you pick it up nice and fast, once you've got the concepts of programming in your head then the language isnt really that important in the long run.
I'm originally from the arts side but taught myself PHP many years ago. I now know PHP, Python, MEL, Actionscript (Flash), Javascript, SQL, ASP and a little Maxscript among others. Again once you've got the concepts in your head then moving onto another language is just a case of relearning the syntax and any special features it may may not have over others. The only frustrating thing is getting comfortable with one language and then learning another to find that some areas are a lot simpler to do things and others are a LOT harder.

I'd say carry on with C# and dabble with C/C++ and MEL too. C/C++ is always a requirement for games programming jobs.
An added bonus for a lot of 3D related programs would be Python as its used in Maya, XSI, Realflow, Blender etc (someone is even playing using it with COM objects in 3ds Max). You can also quickly relate it to web programming if you ever fancied doing that.
But the first thing is to get confident in the syntax of your first language C# and learn others as and when required user added image

Simon

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net

Last edited by t1ck135; 06-03-2008 at 10:21 PM.
# 9 06-03-2008 , 11:31 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Simon

I have decided to stick with C#, and all is going well.
Starting to dabble with OOP and thats good fun. Learning how to create custom class objects with there own custom Methods, with parameters, and properties..... Blahhh... Still trying to get to grips with the Lingo user added image

Anyway, once I get the core concepts down I should be good to go, and learn other languages.

Thanks for the reply!

Oh, and let me know if I can bounce questions off you.
If I have any...... if you don't mind, of course!

See you around!

-Steven

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 10 07-03-2008 , 08:18 PM
No probs Steven, if you have any general questions just ask user added image and yeah the core concepts are the initial important bits and after that things will start to fly. Object oriented methods are definitely the flavour of the day and will help you in the future.
If questions are syntax related for C# then I might not be any good tho user added image

Simon

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net