Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 26-06-2015 , 12:52 AM

Rig broke?!?

I'm new at rigging. I've modelled a tonne before but this is new for me.
I set up an eye rig as taught in this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc1Q...dwssy_4IOjK5Qw

I followed every step and everything was working perfectly fine. I opened the file today and when i try to manipulate the eyes, the geometry is no longer affected by the curve/locators. I have no idea why this is happening. user added image

From the looks of it, I need to somehow assign the curve to affect the geometry, and I'm not sure how to do that. The only last option would be to bevel plus the curves and re-model the facial features... if anyone could PLEASE help me out that'd be amazing! I'm starting to get really frustrated :smileytongue:

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 26-06-2015 , 01:39 AM
Technical Director
Hi Jacqui,

First question, and I know it sounds silly, but did you save the file before closing? The second question is did you delete the history on any of the objects after it was working?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 26-06-2015 , 02:20 AM
Hey there,
I definitely saved my file. I would've deleted my history. Would that have affected my rig? This is my first time rigging using this method so I wouldn't be surprised if I did something silly like that which messed it up. Would you happen to know how I could fix it?

Thank you!

# 4 26-06-2015 , 05:19 AM
Technical Director
Yes, deleting history with a rig connected is almost always a bad idea. Unfortunately, unless you have another version of the file before you deleted the history, that data is gone for good - you'll have to do it again, sorry.

# 5 26-06-2015 , 05:41 AM
Ah damn, I had no idea. At least I know now, thanks for that user added image

# 6 26-06-2015 , 03:05 PM
Technical Director
Yeah, it's a trap for people new to Maya as many people say always delete history, however as you've seen, it can have consequences.

One thing you may want to enable is incremental save. This creates a separate file whenever you save, so if something does go wrong, you can jump back to it. You can turn it on by going to File>Save Scene>Option Box and tick Incremental Save.