Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 11-04-2003 , 05:42 AM

need help with water drop

I have to do a water drop that collides with a surface (a simple plane). I have an ideea how to do this a have used a sphere (soft body) and a plane(a rigid body) and I have maked them colide, but the result is not so convincing. Maybe some of you could help me in doing some of this. Please help me if you can. I am a newbie in this field area so, any advice will be good, or maybe you know a good tutorial for achieving this.

# 2 11-04-2003 , 02:45 PM
Well, if it is just a "hero" droplet, I would try blend-shapes.

So as it hits the water, you can blend to a psuedo-squashed version of the drop geometry, then you can also make the "hero" drop an emitter for other smaller instanced/animated droplets that break off of the main droplet on impact.

Also, there are also a few GREAT melscripts on Highend that will help you achive the "drop" look on the plane if that might be what you are trying to achive.
(for the "expanding-rings" stuff IF you need that) user added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 14-04-2003 , 05:17 AM
I have done a kind an animation for the drop using this tehnique, maybe it will help others:

1. I have crested the body of the drop
2. I have atached a latice to it
3. I have selected the latice and transform it into a soft Body
4. I atached a gravity field to the latice
5. And wrote a mel expresion that controls the position of the latices points in space.

And using this loks like but it isn't so convining. I have used a nurbs plane for the floor and a nurbs object that I myself created it for the drop.

Can you give me more details about how I can make the "hero" drop an emitter for other smaller instanced/animated droplets that break off of the main droplet on impact ? It's interesting to see ...

# 4 18-04-2003 , 11:00 PM
i`ve made some rain for a project ... here is a preview ... if you like it just let me know so i can guide you ... but beware this example make use of advanced expresion and MEL

Last edited by xr1140; 18-04-2003 at 11:03 PM.
# 5 20-04-2003 , 08:55 PM

pt. Sanctuary

Mane sa tra esti un meserias ...... Ma bucur sa vad ca romanii nostrii ne ajuta .... abia astept sa vad site-ul tau ....... Iti multumesc foarte mult cred ca o sa-mi fie de mare ajutor ....... Daca voi mai avea probleme te mai pot deranja cu intrebari ??????

# 6 20-04-2003 , 09:07 PM
:S

# 7 20-04-2003 , 10:46 PM
@creaminds

anytime pal ... and let`s keep it in english user added image

my site it`s offline ATM

# 8 21-04-2003 , 02:14 AM
Sureuser added image

Simply select your "hero" drop, and go to:

PARTICLES > EMIT FROM OBJECT

Then you can use mel, or simply key the imitter to emit Instances of smaller softbody blobs, or just S|W BLOBBY particles for easier useuser added image

Good luck!

PS - Check out the docs for how to emit from a surface/object.
Pretty simpleuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 9 21-04-2003 , 02:20 AM
The Effects Dude to the rescue! :p