Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 12-12-2014 , 07:07 PM

Problem with Insert Edge Loop Tool

Hi all!

First of all, I am very sorry that I open my SimplyMaya experience by opening a newbie problem thread, but this problem is really annoying and I don't find any information about it on the net.

I am now practicing modelling with a long 18 part tutorial. The tutorial author recommended at one point that after every video I should save a new file and then select Delete all by type -> History and Delete all by type -> Non-deformer history and save again.

This at the beginning, but now after few times I am getting a weird problem with the Insert Edge Loop Tool. After the former saving routine when I start working again and use the Insert Edge Loop Tool, the edge loops pivot point goes to the center of the object that I am trying to work with.

Please see the image below. All that has been done there is that I have used the Insert Edge Loop Tool and pressed W for translate. As you can see, the pivot point is in the center of the object. This causes problems when I try to, for instance, snap the loop in line with a vertex.

user added image

I hope someone knows what is this about and is able to help me. user added image

~

Another problem related to Insert Edge Loop Tool. Please see the below image. Are those black lines only there because of a graphical bug or did I mess up some settings. Thanks for this too!

user added image

# 2 12-12-2014 , 09:34 PM
The thin red line
I would start by resetting both tools insert edge and move tool if that does not work delete your preference file ( maya will make another one when you restart it ) let us know how you get on, the black lines could be your graphics card..............dave

# 3 13-12-2014 , 10:18 AM

I would start by resetting both tools insert edge and move tool if that does not work delete your preference file ( maya will make another one when you restart it ) let us know how you get on, the black lines could be your graphics card..............dave

Thanks dave. Reseting those tools didn't work, but deleting the prefs folder did. I still don't know how did I mess up my settings before. I guess I have to be more careful with my keyboard. user added image