Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 07-11-2006 , 02:50 PM

light map .iff problem.

I have recently picked up the rendering with mental ray workflow, specifically for the sss tutorial.

I am having a problem however.

I need to manually creater a .iff file for the mental ray node in the light map slot of my sss skin shader.

However it does not work. It saves it as a txt document even though i change the extension to .iff, and so it will not work. Any ideas?

# 2 07-11-2006 , 03:52 PM
Subscriber
u dont need to give it an extension.
you dont even need one. MR creates one in memory at rendertime

# 3 07-11-2006 , 11:46 PM
i certainly do need one, if i delete it it gives me an error of:

Warning: (Mayatomr.Shader) : mentalrayTexture1: no texture file referenced

no mental ray texture found, and the mental ray node has an 'x' through it.

Also when i plug in a texture file for my diffuse colour i get another error of: it does not show at all.

// Error: (Mayatomr.Output) : file error: C:/Documents and Settings/Edmondson/Desktop/sophie head/2.tif //

Why?

I have attatched the file,and some of the screens, will someone try to get it to work, and try to assign a texture to the head, ad get back to me

[IMG]https://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2789/problemuk2.jpg" alt="user added image" class="img-fluid" style="border:0px" alt="" />[/IMG]

# 4 08-11-2006 , 03:59 AM
Subscriber
the problem is that you didnt attach a lightmap node.
in thee MR create sections, go down to youll see a lightmap section, and create a miss fast lmap.
i attached a screen cap of nodes needed and where they go.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 08-11-2006 , 04:26 AM
that is not the problem, because i have follwed the tuorial to a tee, and it still doesnt work. the above screen shot, is just after the first few steps, attatching the light map makes no difference to the mental ray texture slot not working.

also why is it that i can plug textures in my maya material nodes, but get thge errors with mental ray when i losd them?