Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 07-05-2007 , 02:31 AM

maya 7 won't load, no UI

Hi. I'm new here. I've been running Maya 7.0 Unlimited on my mac for about a year and a half. Everything was fine until last night. I tried to open maya, the start up box appeared saying it's loading, then the script editor opens and at the bottom of the list are the following two errors:

"// Error: file: /Applications/Alias/maya7.0/Maya.app/Contents/scripts/cloth/buildClothMenuBar.mel line 92: Object not found: //
updateRendererUI;
updateRendererUI;
// Error: file: /Applications/Alias/maya7.0/Maya.app/Contents/scripts/others/mentalrayUI.mel line 1354: Object not found: mainRenderMenu //"

I have no interface. All I see is my desktop and the only items in the menu bar at the top of my screen say "Maya", "Cloth", "Constraints", and "Simulation". If I try to select anything it crashes completely. There's no scene, no cameras, no interface, nothing. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, deleting the userPrefs.mel, nothing helps. Can anybody clue me in on what's happening? If anyone can offer any suggestions to get my maya working again I'd really appreciate it.

my system specs:
PowerPC G5 dual 2.0 GHz
1 GB DDR ram
ATI Radeon 9600
OSX 10.4.9

Thanks in advance,

Enid.

# 2 08-05-2007 , 01:01 AM
Looks like some files got corrupted and disappeared. Try reinstalling Maya.

# 3 08-05-2007 , 05:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm sure something got corrupted. I haven't figured it out yet though. Now I'm thinking it isn't the program itself.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling several times. The .mel files mentioned in the script editor are all there where they are supposed to be and nothing appears to be amiss. Reinstalling should have fixed it if there was anything wrong. I guess that means there is something wrong with my system. I've tried running disk utility first aid and various utilities, so far nothing's worked. I think my last resort is to do a complete system restore. I don't really want to do that, but I can't afford to go without maya.

# 4 08-05-2007 , 10:36 PM
Senior Software Developer
Go into the My Documents Folder and rename the maya folder to maya.corr

Relaunch Maya and see if that helps...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 09-05-2007 , 12:52 AM
This is weird. I was going over a list of basic troubleshooting tips for mac OS X and the fourth thing listed is "create a new user account, and see if the problem persists there." I did that just now and maya is running like it supposed to.

It's a lot better than having it not work at all. But I still don't know what's corrupting maya in my main user account, where all my work is. How do I figure out what's causing this so I can fix it, or at the very least, prevent it from reoccurring in a new user account?

# 6 09-05-2007 , 02:58 AM
Senior Software Developer
Windows has a thing called a profile, these also exist in Unix (which MAC OSX is based from), but are called somthing different and therefore these corrupt and cause these problems.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 7 10-05-2007 , 11:04 AM
Thank you both for taking time to respond to my post. I figured out the problem. In my case, it was corrupted "workspace.mel" files in my project folders. I went through all my project folders, deleted the "workspace.mel" files and now Maya launches normally. I'm so happy to have maya back.