Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 01-10-2007 , 11:15 PM

converting subd to poly.

I'm currently working on a car model. It was modeled in subdivisions using the partial crease tool on the edges. It renders fine with maya software, but the edges do not come out right in in mentalray. My question is, what is the best way to convert the panels on the car to polygons without loosing any detail on the corners? converting with vertices with what level or, using uniform, adaptive or polygon count with what settings. I would like to keep it as close as possible to the subdivision version.
The picture below was my first attempt at modeling a car. I drive a skyline as well. user added image It's hard to tell, but the edges did not come out as it should have in subdivision. I'm currently working on my second car, just need some advice this time around. Any help would be much appreciated. :blush:

user added image

# 2 02-10-2007 , 05:45 AM
I believe its adaptive yet I may be wrong

# 3 03-10-2007 , 06:44 AM
Thanks for the reply Dr. Edison, Adaptive on level 2 worked fine.
Cheers,