Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 18-02-2010 , 10:57 PM

Caustic in render layer

Can someone tells how to use caustic in render layer?

Attached Images
# 2 18-02-2010 , 11:15 PM
Super Moderator
I did a post on my blog about caustics. If you're using standard Maya shaders then they will automatically start to generate caustics when you set up your lights and render settings, unlike the mia_material where there is a choice between transparent shadows and caustics. Hope that helps.

Caustics

- Genny
# 3 18-02-2010 , 11:29 PM
It will not show caustic on dice that has been textured. The dice has very complex shader linking that prevents from displaying caustic. Here is one with caustic without the dots.

Attached Images

Last edited by SpiritualEnlightener; 18-02-2010 at 11:32 PM.
# 4 18-02-2010 , 11:32 PM
Here is the layer shader. All I want to know how to render caustic in layer?

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 19-02-2010 , 09:39 PM
Super Moderator
To be honest, I don't know how much MR loves the Maya layered shader, you're probably better off using just layered textures or even try the mib_color_mix node or even the mix8 layer.

- Genny
# 6 20-02-2010 , 05:16 AM
I saw your works on CGsociety. I envy you. How do you get so good? Do you have powerful computer? Does your computer ever crashes or freezes?

# 7 20-02-2010 , 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
I like messing with shaders and lights, I was bound to learn something user added image. My computer is a quad core machine, and while that isn't top of the line anymore, it does it's job well. I've had occasional freezes/crashes but those were Windows fault mostly and were easily fixed.

- Genny
# 8 20-02-2010 , 05:26 PM
MR hates the layerd shader for maya. its somethign like 10 x slower, always go for the Mix20

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle