Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 46 21-06-2010 , 12:58 PM

Visor Library

I just searched Maya Help and found some very useful info. You can create a visor tab and select type "disk". Then you can pick what directory you want to use.

I have a folder on my computer called Library-Objects and inside that folder, I have subfolders like Doors, Windows, Kitchen_Appliances, Automobiles, Trees, etc. So, I made my new Visor Tab point to Maya Library and now I can use that tab to import models/objects into my scenes as needed. (see screenshot). The only problem is it doesn't show me a picture representation of my objects so I'm going to look into how to go about doing that.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 47 21-06-2010 , 01:02 PM
Lifetime Member
bahahahaha love it mate!!!! Good to see a Webber (grill)..........now wheres the beer?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 48 21-06-2010 , 01:41 PM
lol bullet1968.

Anyone know how to create a swatch image file? In order to view the images of the file in visor, you need an image swatch file. I'm having a lot of difficulty figuring it out.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 49 21-06-2010 , 01:49 PM
Lifetime Member
Ive just been trying it too!! not so straightforward

edit:add the .swatch to the extension, I cant get past that bit.

bed time

good luck, I will look at this in the morn mate unless you get it, which Im sure you will

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 21-06-2010 at 01:57 PM.
# 50 21-06-2010 , 01:55 PM
The thin red line

# 51 21-06-2010 , 02:07 PM
Any idea how to do the following?

use the flag -saveSwatch to create .swatch files for all the image files in that folder.

Exceed Expectations!
# 52 21-06-2010 , 03:29 PM
The thin red line
If you run a render, look in "View menu" there is "Grab Swatch to Hypershade/ Visor" I dont know were it puts it probby in a visor directory...........dave see bellow

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2009\docs\Maya2009\en_US\index. html

Render View menu bar

Last edited by daverave; 21-06-2010 at 06:11 PM.
# 53 21-06-2010 , 04:07 PM
Super Moderator
Quite the ambitious effort. Looking good so far and the style is consistent. I'm partial to the end-table 1 <3

- Genny
# 54 21-06-2010 , 06:30 PM

Originally posted by daverave
If you run a render, look in "View menu" there is "Grab Swatch to Hypershade/ Visor" I dont know were it puts it probby in a visor directory...........dave see bellow

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2009\docs\Maya2009\en_US\index. html

Render View menu bar

I tried that and all it did for me was put an iff image in my folder. However, I went and saw Toy Story 3d, which was awesome by the way, and came back refreshed with a clear head, hahaha. 10 minutes later after trying different things...I've DONE IT..Mwahahaha. I'll post up the simple process.

Originally posted by GecT
Quite the ambitious effort. Looking good so far and the style is consistent. I'm partial to the end-table 1 <3

Thanks, glad you like it. I did a google search of "end table" and saw that style. That's where I got my reference from.

Exceed Expectations!
# 55 21-06-2010 , 06:33 PM

Making and image into a swatch image file

Step 1: Open up an image with Fcheck.

Step 2: Change File Type to 'All Images'

Step 3: Type in the file name and add '.swatch' to the end.

It's really that easy.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 56 21-06-2010 , 06:42 PM
The thin red line
Just found out how to do it in maya, sellect Grab Swatch to Hypershade/ Visor highlight from the render what you want, the open viser to the file you are on, drag sellection with middle mouse to the file, then save file

# 57 21-06-2010 , 07:10 PM

Originally posted by daverave
Just found out how to do it in maya, sellect Grab Swatch to Hypershade/ Visor highlight from the render what you want, the open viser to the file you are on, drag sellection with middle mouse to the file, then save file

I tried that but it didn't create a .swatch file for me. It created a .iff file. How did you get yours saved as a .swatch file?

Exceed Expectations!
# 58 21-06-2010 , 07:19 PM
The thin red line
I was using the project folder that have a .mayaSwatches folder in it and was saved in there........dave

# 59 21-06-2010 , 07:47 PM
Strange, not sure what's different about my system. I just tried putting it in my .mayaswatches folder, but as before, it's saving it as an iff file format.

It's ok though, I can just do it with Fcheck I guess. Too much research, time to go model something.

Exceed Expectations!
# 60 21-06-2010 , 07:58 PM
The thin red line
Sorry that it did not work for you just tried it again on another scene, work ok. Could be you swatch folders are named diff to mine? you are dragging it to the scene file not the folder?.............dave

Last edited by daverave; 21-06-2010 at 08:01 PM.