Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 21-10-2003 , 04:49 AM

Rusty OilDrum's

Ive been working on these oildrums for alittle while now...

Im looking for any suggestions and comments.

I would like to add some gooy toxic waste to drip down the sides
and puddly at the bottom but im not shure what i should use to do this.. should i use particles.. or fluids or textured somehow. Fluids arn't too demanding on my computer so its possible.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 21-10-2003 , 07:29 AM
chris.. is that u?

-- Why is it snowing rain --
AIM: SnowboarderCF
# 3 21-10-2003 , 01:37 PM
The Maya Mountain
Pretty cool base texture.

Right now, the corrosion doesn't seem to be realistic, in that the first places to get corroded, usually, is in the crevasses such as around the protruding rings and around the cap especially.

As you mentioned, fluid stains would help out.

As for thepuddle, I'm not 100% certain, but I would think fluid effects would not be the way to go. From what I understand, fluid effects are generally for simulating moving fluid, not a stationary puddle on the ground. I think your best bet would be to create it with geometry and texture it. The texturing would be mostly in the amount of reflectivity, the base color of the liquid, and the reflectivity map you use.

# 4 21-10-2003 , 09:50 PM

Originally posted by Forum_snowboarder33
chris.. is that u?

yep

# 5 21-10-2003 , 11:35 PM
you should change the rust color to a darker more brown like color user added image

I like 'em, good work.

...and that is how I saved the world.
# 6 22-10-2003 , 10:07 AM
Subscriber
I'd have to agree with Mike about the corosion. You should try to make the corrosion texture look like it has been affected by the shape and contour of the drums rather than just having it wrap unaltered around edges on the surface.

I also feel that all the colour in the texture is a bit too bright and spectacular. I'd remove a bit of brightness as well as reducing the contrast.

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 7 22-10-2003 , 01:32 PM
I agree with mike as well. This at the moment screams maya procedural texture to me user added image how about using that texture (which i think is quite nice, although there is more rust than oil drum left! user added image) and controlling it using painted greyscale maps to achieve what Mike was talking about. The best way to do that is to think about how these barrels would be used in real life, the edges would be knocked and scrapped from being dragged around, you might have some dents in the side where it's been dropped etc. All of these things add to the feel of the realism in the image and help to tell the story of why the barrels have become like they are...

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB