Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 03-10-2007 , 02:35 AM

Uneven render due to edge loops - solution?

Hi,

got an issue with edge loops creating surface unevenness on my renders. I've attatched images to illustrate. Since I plan to model the areas on the pull up bar where the parts are welded, I was addind the edge loops to allow me to merge verts once I combined the different parts.

What would be a solution to this?

thanks,

gubar.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-10-2007 , 02:36 AM
wire:

Edit: you can't see the wires on the cylinder on the bar's end, but the line up with those on the arm beneath it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 03-10-2007 , 02:42 AM
Lifetime Member
If you harden the normals that might clear it up.

Another option that sometimes can work is to convert it to a sub-d and then back to a poly object.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 03-10-2007 at 02:48 AM.
# 4 03-10-2007 , 02:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, in this case though, converting the shape to subdivision results in a sort of dagger shape, really rounds it out. And hardening the edges results in it looking very sharp (perhaps the shape is too simple, though that's what I was aiming for). I'll try adding a bevel,

cheers,

gubar.

# 5 03-10-2007 , 03:10 AM
Lifetime Member
It doesn't matter what it looks like as a sub-d because you are going to convert it back to a polygon object, just make sure you are at level 0 in sub-d when converting back ,then in the options of the convert sub-d to polygon menu select vertices then when you convert you will get your original polygon mesh back but it should have cleaned up the shading issues.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 6 03-10-2007 , 03:28 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Set your 'vertex normals' Under Edit Polygons>normals> set vertex normals /unlock.

Failing this set 'face normals' in the same menu set. put drop down to propagate

Jay