Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 46 11-03-2011 , 05:17 AM
Acid44
Jesus man, great work you've done here, and bloody fast too, great job man.

One suggestion I have is maybe adding more resolution or fixing the UV map on the big rock on the bottom right, the one behind the others, it looks a bit stretched/lowres, can't tell the difference atm cause I'm on a friends PC with a crap monitor user added image

# 47 11-03-2011 , 07:59 AM
Subscriber
Thanks! Yeah the big rock was my next area to do, I am still toying with the idea of putting a smaller creature on it, not sure yet if that'd work out though...

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 48 13-03-2011 , 12:48 AM
Subscriber
And as said, it is done.
I want to re-work the lighting a little and possibly the camera, see where that takes me...

Peace

Attached Thumbnails

# 49 15-03-2011 , 11:58 AM
Subscriber
I think I am actually going to throw my computer out the window...

"Error: Maya cannot open the file"

Oh well, thankfully I had a backup and most of the recent updates have been texture/lighting (easily recovered)

All the lighting has to be re-done and a lot of little tweaks were lost.

:|

Hopefully I can update to where I WAS at soon enough...

# 50 15-03-2011 , 02:10 PM
Subscriber
Well I guess this was good in giving me a new perspective on the shot.
I've made the whole image look a lot more photographic, less 3D...
I need to re-add the foreground detail I lost but I'm liking this!
Comments? Criticism!

Peace

Attached Thumbnails

# 51 15-03-2011 , 03:14 PM
Subscriber
Is there a reason you are sticking to low poly for this projest as I think the beast could do with a bit more - liking this image much more than the last

# 52 16-03-2011 , 10:35 PM
Looking great man!

I would agree with Tweety though, as you have done so well getting it to here and still have a while to go, why not add some more geo to it?
Is there a particular reason you're sticking to low poly, or you just prefer it that way?
It is looking cool though so whatever you decide you're making the right choices! lol

# 53 17-03-2011 , 04:49 AM
Subscriber
Hey guys!
The low poly thing... Mostly because i like the sharp edges for this image, kind of a poster art feel. Also a little because its been so long since ive used MAYA more polygons might break my brain!
I will expand upon it though, mostly the legs of the creatures and the rocks, make it a little smoother while keeping the angular look i desire! I think a whole lot of the atmosphere will come in post.
I would also like to ask if anybody has any sort of problem with major post work? The fundamentals of the image will be there and i am trying to do as much as i can straight out of render. I think of it like i do with my photography, do as much as i can out of post!

Anywhoooos, thanks for the kind words! Going on a photography adventure to the city tomorrow so i can re-start the work on Sunday hopefully!

# 54 17-03-2011 , 09:38 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Looking good dude, but Im still having trouble reading that kid in the box, its just not clear enough, I would rotate it a bit so we can see fingers on the side of the box and perhaps raise or tilt the bucket back to see the mouth a bit too, this way it will give an indication of him hiding and still trying to peak out, as you would most likely do in an even as wonderous as this

Jay

# 55 24-03-2011 , 03:22 PM
Subscriber
Done some more, such a hectic week so i haven't done quite what i wanted to do!
The kid is still a bit WIP but the rest of the scene is coming together. Just lighting and atmospheric changes in this one, plus some camera fiddles.

Peace

Attached Thumbnails

# 56 24-03-2011 , 03:36 PM
Subscriber
Loving the ground - apart from the rock on the right - seems to have folds in it.

The kids t-shirt is being washed out by the light - but the second hand really does help show that its a kid in the box.

The buildings and moon are making much more of an impact with less fog - well done.

Already told you about my thoughts on the creatures and low polyness but I am loving the current poses of the rear two - just not 100% on the front one

# 57 24-03-2011 , 08:12 PM
Subscriber
i think it would look nicer if the bends in the legs weren't so sharp, but then i don't know what long legs for giant creatures would look like, if it would be that angular or not

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 58 24-03-2011 , 09:16 PM
Lifetime Member
Thats looking very good mate...I take it the PC didnt defy gravity on the way out the window?

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 59 25-03-2011 , 01:15 AM
Subscriber
Dont worry bullet, the PC lived to see another day (when i remembered my laptop sucked and im broke...)

For the creatures these are my primary inspirations. Paintings by Dali.

https://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick/ac...St_Anthony.jpg
https://www.alangandy.com/wp-content/.../elephants.jpg

I love how energetic and powerful they seem!

Kid wise, I'm gonna play with the pose some more, texture the tshirt properly. Half tempted to add a backpack... I'll see.
Rock wise, Fixing it now! The texture was doing something funny with the normals.

Anybody got info on how to do Displacement Maps, they seem to have changed with MAYA 2010...?

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, worked it out!

Last edited by Some Guy; 25-03-2011 at 01:21 AM.
# 60 25-03-2011 , 01:52 AM
Administrator
This is way cool, great concept. I love it, very clever with the little guy in the box user added image