Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 18-11-2002 , 10:01 PM
Subscriber

Want particles to move in a curved line.

I can make particles go through volumetric objects just fine, but can't figure out how to make them go in a curved line. Think of a cylinder that is a half-circle. I want the particles to go in that type of direction. I've tried linking multiple cylinders in a simi-circle fasion, but the particles don't want to move from the end of the first cylinder to the begining of the next. There might be a way to make them go through a torus to achieve this, but what if I want the particles to turn and do another simi-circle going the oposite way? It seems that the only way to do complex turns with particles is to link multiple volumetric objects together and somehow adjust the setting just right to achieve whatever you need. By the way, (if it matters) I want the particles to fill the entire space of the volumetric shape it is traveling through. I don't want them traveling in a thin, straight line. These particals must be very controled.

# 2 18-11-2002 , 10:23 PM
The Maya Mountain
Sounds like using a Flow Path... I believe its under the Effects menu. Create a Curve, select it, and under effects, create a Flow or something similar.

# 3 19-11-2002 , 12:51 AM
Subscriber
Is this even close to what you want to do? It's a divX 5.02 file. I've just used a basic omni emitter but it is following a a curve, half clrcle but could be pretty much any shape you want. Let me know and i'll give a description of my way of doing it.

Curved particles

# 4 19-11-2002 , 01:32 AM
Subscriber
Well, the flow path option mtmckinley talked about works fine, but it would be interesting to hear another way of doing it. Sadly, the file is no use to me because my Maya is on my other computer, which is not hooked up to the internet. Please explain, though.

# 5 19-11-2002 , 01:59 AM
Subscriber
Using flow path as mtmckinley suggested for you is probably ideal for whay you want to do. The way i did was a little more involved but gives you different options. I'll put together a tutorial tonight.

# 6 19-11-2002 , 05:54 AM
Subscriber
Here's a quick tutorial aimed at Newbies for sure. If you have any problems with this, let me know.

Curving particles.

# 7 20-11-2002 , 08:30 AM
Supreme Being
i just read your tut mrmacca.. nicely written.. :p