Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 02-12-2002 , 12:44 AM
Subscriber

window shatter

Trying to get the window of a storefront to shatter when kicked from the inside. I have a poly plane which I've shattered and a ground plane on which it can fall. A small poly plane which is going to represent the foot is an animated passive body which moves through the glass. The shatter is deactivated until just before the point of impact. The foot plane collides with the shatters and they move outward and downward. This is going more or less as I imagined for about 10 frames and then it stops. The gravity field is still active so I'm not sure why they stop falling. I put impulses on the shards to move them outward because the impact of the foot plane didn't appear to move them outward. Anyway, I've got this far really just faking it. If someone can fill me in on the correct way to accomplish this I'd really appreciate it. user added image

I've attached a zip file containing the mb file and a playblast which should make it all clear.

# 2 03-12-2002 , 12:04 AM
Well i did this for you hope it helps

Last edited by Tolerate; 03-12-2002 at 12:15 AM.
# 3 03-12-2002 , 12:14 AM
oops sorry, i forgot to save the scene before zipping it so this is the real one

# 4 03-12-2002 , 12:16 AM
Subscriber

oops! Maya 4

wow! thanks for the help Tolerate. I've seen the playblast and am looking forward to seeing what you did. Just one problem: I neglected to say I'm using Complete 4 and not 4.5. I can't open the file.

When I looked at your playblast I noticed a couple of floaty shards that didn't tumble. I guess I can work around those by keyframing them, right? The most important thing is that the shards are falling and colliding with the ground, which yours did very nicely.

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>
# 5 03-12-2002 , 10:23 AM
I did a hack on one of the scene files so this should HOPEFULLY work on Maya 4.0

the file you need to open is Glass.ma

# 6 03-12-2002 , 11:00 AM
Subscriber

No go... :(

Again, thanks for your help. Seems it won't open in 4.0 however.

# 7 03-12-2002 , 11:19 AM
I changes one last thing in the file, so if this doesn't work i'm not sure what i can do

# 8 03-12-2002 , 11:52 AM
Subscriber

still error.

nope - error reading file. I have heard no backwards compatability. Too bad. Well I have your work and I'll be able to take it to a friend in a couple of days who has 4.5 and I'll give it a look see then. Maybe you could just quickly jot down the order in which you did things - especially the settings on the shards themselves. A gravity field. Are there impulses? How do you specify how long they last etc. How do you check that the dynamic forces don't stop until they have finally wrestled those shards to the passive body plane? Any tidbits of info might be enough to set me on the right track. Thanks again. user added image

# 9 03-12-2002 , 01:32 PM
i'll write something down later when i have time, got some things to do i town in a bit.

the only thing with an impules was the ball. All an impulse does is gives something a push at the first frame of the simulation, so after that first frame no force is applied to the object, the only thing moving it is the object momentum

# 10 03-12-2002 , 06:24 PM
Subscriber
what did you use to make the cube shatter?

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 11 03-12-2002 , 08:14 PM
Subscriber

shatter effect

Actually it's a plane with a shatter effect applied under Dynamics/Effects/Shatter - the impulse comes - apparantly user added image from the object which collides with it. I have yet to get it right - use Tolerates file