Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 21-04-2009 , 10:51 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

ZB4

Well Ive just woken up from a migraine to some rather good news from my friend and colleague, GioChrono, .....ZBrush 4 is released in August!!!! Finally!!

thanks to Gio for the heads up

Jay

# 2 21-04-2009 , 11:10 AM
The Nurb Herd
# 3 21-04-2009 , 11:17 AM
Cheers Dom I did forget the link!! DOh!!!

# 4 21-04-2009 , 11:36 AM
Coooool

Any news on features etc, hope its not the start of August, I want to enjoy the (possibly) good weather and not have myself locked in a darkend room Z'ing all day!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 21-04-2009 , 12:37 PM
The Nurb Herd
i know its been gone over and over, but modo has various options for scene navigation and i would love if zb4 had something similar. its difficult going from shake to pftrack to boujou to maya to zbrush or whatever and having to remember all the controls.
Its just a small thing but its annoying. I would certainly feel more confortable in zbrush and maybe produce some better results if i was 100% with the GUI. user added image

# 6 21-04-2009 , 01:23 PM
Heh yeah, Zb does require a bit of a mind shift in operational terms, but it only takes a day or so. But when you create textures, its no different than jumping into PS - its all different, but if you feel that strongly about it why not try mudbox as the nav is the same as maya. Not that I'd recommend mudbox, it just lags and lacks. Zb is far superior.

heh that should start an argument LOL

Jay

# 7 21-04-2009 , 01:29 PM
The problem with those scene navigations thingies is that they eventually fall down, Motionbuilder has the option to swap over to Mayas control, big problem is that other keys are reassigned for the specific programme which eventually causes brain numbing problems. Much better in my mind to just get used to it.

As Jay said its like jumping from maya to PS (or to motionbuilder for that matter)

# 8 21-04-2009 , 02:00 PM
The Nurb Herd
i was tempted to try mudbox as it does have the same controls as maya, but as yet have not had a go. I do get used to zb controls as you have both said you just got to like it or lump it.

One big update which is need is the ability to export displacement maps in the mac version! Although i heard that they will be updating both versions simultaneously now. user added image

# 9 22-04-2009 , 03:49 PM
Jr.Who
Let's hope their PR is a little bit better this time around and they actually have a dual release on time. I can't wait to see the release trailer for it though…

I keep hearing people talk about hoping that one of the new features is voxel modeling or something? What are voxels?

# 10 22-04-2009 , 07:40 PM
A voxel is a 3d representation of a pixel.

On the other hand if they go fully dual release I hope it doesn't hold back the PC version.

# 11 22-04-2009 , 08:15 PM
I doubt it will Steve.

The great thing with this is that it was intially going to be 3.5 but theyve held back and gone to a whole version, so they must have done some serious work under the hood.

Im hoping that Multidisplacement has become obselete and now its just tick boxes for apps on exporting displacements. One for 16bitMaya and 32bitMaya - It would be far easier.

Jay

# 12 23-04-2009 , 07:52 AM
True Jay, that would be good, no codes, then again an advanced option where you can do all the jazz on the multidisp would be good for qwhen of if you ever need it.