Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 02-12-2009 , 10:58 PM

Freeze Transformations

This is probably something I'm doing wrong, but whenever I click "freeze transformations", nothing happens, none of the transformations get reset.

I was following Kurt's Low Poly Character tutorial, and am right at the start where you create the head and neck, and when you convert from nurbs to polygons, you have to pull the polygon out, and delete the nurbs and put the polygon back in place. To get this accurate i wanted to freeze transformations first, then just 0 them again to put it back but it's not letting me.

Any one have any ideas? Apologies if its a simple answer user added image

Edit: Okay so they are reset to 0 anyway, but the point is I still can't freeze transformations user added image

Also I have noticed after the conversion the transformation axis are no longer centered, center pivot also doesn't do anything. hmmm

Last edited by Ceryni; 02-12-2009 at 11:00 PM.
# 2 03-12-2009 , 01:48 AM
EduSciVis-er
When you hit freeze transformations, does an error message appear in the bar near the bottom of the screen? If so, what does it say?

To change your pivot, hit the insert key and move to the desired location. If you want to snap it to the origin, for example, hold x and move it to the origin, then hit insert to get out of pivot point changing mode.

Hope that helps.

# 3 03-12-2009 , 01:14 PM
No I get no errors popping up that I know of, but I'm at work right now so can't be 100% sure, I'll have a look later,

As for the center pivot, what is the mac equivalent to holding Insert? I have just switched to a Mac Pro and some of the controls are a bit off, just need to get used to them.

Ps Magic Mouse is a bad idea!

# 4 03-12-2009 , 05:10 PM
EduSciVis-er
Google tells me it's the home key.

PS But I'm told you can stroke it!

# 5 03-12-2009 , 06:39 PM
Okay I admit the stroking is fun. Especially for zooming in maya, seeing as the stroke is the scroll wheel it has a ball bearing effect and scrolls in until you tap the service again to stop it. user added image

There were no errors this time, the weird thing is, I turned on the computer and fired up maya and the freeze transformations and center pivot now work! I don't understand.
Whats worse, is that the scroll wheel zoom now doesn't work any more,
I have checked the preferences and it appears the scroll wheel is enabled so it should work. I know maya can be buggy sometimes but this is just annoying.

P.S the magic mouse has no middle click... thats the main issue user added image