Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 01-03-2011 , 08:29 PM

March Challenge - Environment - Dango

Not really sure what I'll be doing, but thought I'd set up my thread to signify that I'm in...lol
I'll give it some thought over the next couple of days and decide on something.
Good luck all, again!

# 2 02-03-2011 , 05:35 AM
Lifetime Member
good luck mate....going for gold again LOL...congrats

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 09-03-2011 , 11:03 PM
Right,
I had all but given up hope of having any time this month to do anything for this challenge, and also getting far too many ideas flying into my brain for what to actually do.
Then I thought of something I would like to do, that made sense for me to do now, and I may have a little bit of time to do it too at seems, so I'm going to go for it. But unfortunately I doubt I'll get to the point of actually texturing and lighting it so once the comps over I'll move it to the wip section and carry it on (when I get time, and as long as the next challenge doesn't interest me...lol)
I'll post some progress, and an explanation of what I'm doing when I've actually done something (am about to get started now!)

As always, good luck everyone!

# 4 10-03-2011 , 04:00 PM
What I'm going for is a workshop for my speeder bike from the last challenge, kind of a Tatooine like place, desert in the background etc.
I have added the speeder bike in this render, and I will do in some others, but it's only to illustrate where it would be (and will be after the comp) in the picture. If I do by some miracle manage to finish this before the final entry date I will remove it from the image before entering it.
The bike at the moment is on what I'm calling a Nograv machine. I think it explains itself really. lol

Anyhow, onwards with the modelling, I want to put some more bits and pieces in now as I have some spare time!

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 11-03-2011 , 01:22 AM
Subscriber
finally some progress from you!
how'd you make the ladder?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 11-03-2011 , 02:02 AM
Lifetime Member
It would be a draw arc 3 points and vert line then attach circle and extrude in nurbs dango??

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 11-03-2011 , 08:11 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
dude

just do it. this has some nice composition areas already.......

j

# 8 11-03-2011 , 09:55 AM
Chirone, and Bullet:

It was made from a torus resized and cut down to a quarter to get the bars at the top where they bend over, then the bottoms extruded down to the floor. Then just a cylinder duplicated down to make the rungs. Was the quickest way I could think of making it, it took probably about 3 minutes to make..lol
Sorry for the lack of progress Chirone *hangs head in shame*

Jay:

Thanks mate, I will do my best, work is very busy at the moment though, and looking like its going to get busier over the next few weeks, I'll be sure to find some time for Maya though.

# 9 12-03-2011 , 01:49 AM
Little bit of an update, got some more bits and pieces in there, I gave this a bit of thought earlier and I now pretty much know what I'm going to put in the scene and where it will go, just got to do all the modelling!....lol

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 12-03-2011 , 02:03 AM
Lifetime Member
So is the box in front of the bike a telemtry pad Dango?

bullet1968

# 11 12-03-2011 , 09:23 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Dango

check this out, its the Tosche Station scene from the original Star wars, but was cut from the film, it may spark some more ideas, https://www.google.com/images?q=Tosch...w=1517&bih=686

Im hoping that they put it all in the blu ray version in September, as theres already cut scenes from Jedi being put back in too

cheers
Jay

# 12 13-03-2011 , 01:05 AM
Bullet:

Yeah, of sorts, a diagnostics display, so I guess telemetry does come into that! lol

Jay:

Nice one, just got home and saw this, looks very interesting, it's given me a couple of ideas already!
I didn't know anything about that scene before.
I am looking forward to the blu ray versions being released, and now I know there's going to be some unseen footage added in it makes it makes it that much better!

# 13 14-03-2011 , 01:46 PM
Hey i made the ladder on my Pier scene the exact same way. Good to know its a good way to do it.

I like the mode so far. Makes me want to do an interior scene. Do you have any references or sketches or just winging it?

# 14 16-03-2011 , 10:56 AM
Hi TwistedD,
I'm not sure if it is the best way to do it but it is indeed a quick way.
I'm not really using many references, I have looked at a few images from Star Wars (Cheers again Jay) for ideas, but apart from that just trying to recreate what I'm seeing in my head, I usually work that way as once I have an idea and can visualize it, it pretty much stays there until I've got it out.
Some things change if I come up with better ideas along the way, or something just doesn't look the same as I saw it.

I'll have another update soon, I've added some more bits, just want to get a little bit more detailing done first.

# 15 16-03-2011 , 02:26 PM
There's some really good entries going on, I've only just had the time to go through everyone's, my apologies for not writing any comments yet, I'll try to make some more time to do so soon.
Here's my update, not tons added but I plan to try and get a load done tomorrow night, so hopefully I'll be a good step closer to finishing then, still don't know if I'll get a good final image done for the final, but I've started playing about with lighting now so you never know.
When I render with all the lights on etc I have to do it from the command line, so will probably not show any of those until nearer the end.

Attached Thumbnails