SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Maya Questions / Lighting & Rendering / Rendering Paint Effects

Lighting & Rendering General Lighting, Camera & Rendering Related Topics

Join the conversation. Reply to post

25-02-2007, 01:17 AM   #1
jasi_hawk

Rendering Paint Effects
How is it possible to render paint effects in mental ray.

I have created hair using paint effects. it is not being rendered in mental ray.

IN the paint effects display tab. i have gone into the mental ray line or tab(i dont know what we call that one). in that there is something that is called flags.

so what should i do to get it rendered.
25-02-2007, 02:16 AM   #2
publicFunction
Senior Software Developer

As far as I am aware, you can't render Maya Paint Effects in Mental Ray. I had the same issue with my Wii WIP on the glow.
To get round it I converted the paint Effects to Ploygons, tweaked the shader slightly and rendered that way.

From what I know of Paint Effects... "... Paint Effects strokes are a post-render effect in the Maya software renderer, so they have to be recreated as geometry to be rendered with Mental Ray, ..."

They only other option I would suggest is compositing in Post-Production...
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)