Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 29-10-2013 , 02:04 PM

How To Bend Card

Hi, I’m new to maya and have another thread open right now and everyone’s been very helpful so thanks, I wonder if anyone can help me with this new challenge.

I’m modeling cardboard cd product. At the moment I’m focusing and a single piece of card folded in 2 places. I’ve created some renders (below) to show how I’d like the card to fold.

To create this scene I’ve had modeled three separate polygonal objects, the bottom, the side and the top, and rotated them individually to create the folded effect.

Ideally I’d like to make this out of one single object as the parts in green will be covered with an image texture which I would like to wrap around the product via a single texture map.

I’m not sure where to start with this should I create a single object and use deformers to bend/fold it or should I use rigging?

Any help would be hugely appreciated as I’m loving maya but some things seem way beyond my head!!

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 2 01-11-2013 , 10:55 PM
Very easy - rig three bones.

Unfortunetly you'll have to do a bit of playing with the skinning.

Use the new interactive skinning and narrow the areas of interest.

Quick tutorial and you should be there.

# 3 03-11-2013 , 02:54 AM
Lifetime Member
Is this going to be animated? If not I would just use a cube and extrusions for this...

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 03-11-2013 , 03:14 AM
Lifetime Member
This is one object, no deformation....straight from a cube....and you can still animate it if you wanted too.

https://puu.sh/57ca2.jpg

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes