Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 29-08-2004 , 10:54 AM

Fur renderings problems...

I've just begun adding fur for my model, and when I render just the head the fur is attached to it works fine. But when I render the rest of the body the fur doesn't render.
I've tried all possible sollutions a newbie would think of (deleting history, searching through the hypergraph, deleting history, converting subdivisions to polygons etc) but nothing works.
Maybe I should mention that the head with the fur is a polygon, and the rest are subdivisions.
Can anyone help me please?

/Quads

# 2 29-08-2004 , 11:57 AM
Subscriber
"Applying fur to a polygon or subdivision surface model is similar to applying textures in that the geometry needs a specific arrangement of UVs so that the fur looks correct when applied to the model. (UVs are points that correspond to polygon/subdivision surface vertices and provide the information needed to map fur to the object.) For details on creating UVs, see the Polygonal Modeling guide or the Subdivision Surfaces Modeling guide.

The UVs must be laid out so they are non-overlapping between 0 and 1 in the texture space. To achieve this you can use one of the following to instantly lay out your UVs:

* Automatic Mapping
* Layout UVs menu item in the UV Texture Editor
By default, Fur uses the UV layout in UV set map1 to map fur descriptions to polygons and subdivision surfaces, but you can change this in the Relationship Editor. For details, see Select which UV set to use for Fur (polygons only)."

maya docs

# 3 29-08-2004 , 12:01 PM
Yes, I know. As I said - the fur is in it's place and rendered fine until I add the rest of the body which are different surfaces apart from the head wich is the only polygon model in the entire body.
The rest of the body is hidden in layers, and when I turn on the visibility of the body on the fur (in the layers) it disappears in when i render.

# 4 29-08-2004 , 09:39 PM
I'm going crazy about this and cannot think of a way to solve this. Is there someone I could send the file to? Maybe I've just missed something obvious that I have overseen?

# 5 01-09-2004 , 05:31 PM
user added image

So there it is. The fur is attached to the head, and it's all in it's place.
If I hide the sweater (wich I have now converted to polygons too) everything renders fine including the fur, but if I try to render the image with the sweater the fur is not rendered (but everything else is).
I even tried to remove the fur and make a nurbs plane with fur attached to it, and when I rendered with the sweater the fur disappeared. If I rendered the the nurbs plane with the fur, and the head, it rendered fine again. So there is obviously something wrong with the sweater - whenever I put it in the fur doesn't render?
Does anyone know what to do? Suggestions?