Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 17-09-2006 , 06:38 AM

Trouble with dynamics :P

Ok, so i tried out a great tutorial by Derek Smart called "Palm Tree in Maya Tutorial". The tutorial starts here: https://derekthesmart.com/tutorials/modeling.htm

The modelling went well. I'm new to rigging, and even that went ok. But when i went on to dynamics in the tutorial I rean into some trouble, and i dont know where I went wrong. I have soft bodies and springs applied to each curve in the branches of hte tree, and there is also a uniform field applied to everything. At the end of the dynamics section of the tutorial, i should be able see the tree sway lightly in a breeze, but instead it crumples up, and explodes and goes nuts
I would post my WIP thus far, but it's too big.

# 2 17-09-2006 , 02:31 PM
Springs can be a righ pain, have you checked your settings so that Maya plays every frame (as this might be interupting the calculation and causing problems) also check your settings with the authors.

Other than that your going to havbe to play with the settings of the springs to try and stop it from exploding

# 3 17-09-2006 , 03:29 PM
Subscriber
Try making a playblast of a couple of hundred frames of the animation (window/playblast), if your machine isn't quick enough to deal with the interactive playback it's a great way to see exactly what the animation will look like.

As gster said though, springs can be a bit of a pain!!

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 4 17-09-2006 , 11:15 PM
I think i found one of the problema. Whenever I use the weight skin paint tool, none of the changes i make stay after i've deselected whatever part of the tree i was working on! So the odd, and unwanted extra influences the branches are having on eachotehr are impossible for me to change. I just upgrades from maya 7 to 8 also, but the problem still seems to be there.

I just notirced too that this does not happen what painting the tree trunk, only the branches. I do not know what is it about the branches would make them locked like that.

Last edited by sabinmash; 17-09-2006 at 11:23 PM.
# 5 17-09-2006 , 11:57 PM
Ok, one of the problems seemed ot be that when took the minimum value of the skin weight paint to -1, and then used that to paint, it didnt take and the tree would always revert back to whatever value it was before i painted it. But after resetting the settings making that min vlaue 0 again, it worked. But still, this is vey tedious. I want to just bucket fill teh few branches black, getting rid of the extra pulls they after on eachother, and then just paint back the white influences where i want them. That would take liek 10 min. But teh Fill took reverts back now whenever i use it. And if i use it when i have all of the objects selected (and just one slected in the skin weight menu, becuase that's all it allows_, and I Fill, the program crashes. When i select a fewer number of parts to Fill, it doesnt crash, but still reverts back to its original value once i have deselected in, and then reslect it to see if it worked (which is didnt). Any thoughts on how to fix this?