Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 76 18-02-2008 , 12:48 AM
Jr.Who
OK, almost finished!! Just have to figure this wake thing out. It's proving to be harder than I thought. I made an ocean (through fluid effects) and a wake, but I have no idea what to do now.

Anyone know about fluids/wakes?

Attached Thumbnails
# 77 19-02-2008 , 06:51 AM
That's better, by the way can we smooth model looks very hard and keep it up!

user added image

# 78 19-02-2008 , 08:29 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by lealar
That's better, by the way can we smooth model looks very hard and keep it up!

user added image

Thanks lealar. user added image

The reason I'm not smoothing it is because this model is very dense, and my computer is not fast. It already takes too much time rendering it now! :lmao:

Anyway, I created another topic here:
https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthr...&postid=260063

Hopefully it will draw more attention to the matter and I can figure this thing out.

# 79 24-02-2008 , 03:29 PM
Jr.Who
I took a break from Maya (which was way too long…), so today I messed with the ocean some more and gave another shot at the wake. I'm pretty content with the outcome (and I just want to move onto another project user added image ).

Here's the shot without the wake:

Attached Thumbnails
# 80 24-02-2008 , 03:30 PM
Jr.Who
I would love to know what you guys think, because I need to update my website soon.

Here's the wake shot:

Attached Thumbnails
# 81 24-02-2008 , 03:37 PM
Subscriber
smooth out the sails

try to make the sails translucence

also the sails colour could use a more yellow/braun/orange tint

the wood board should be along side the boat (the deck)

the angle of the view makes the boat look miniature.

the waves could use some differences.

the wood texture looks a bit flat, no realism.

Anyways keep it up, don`t update if you have a different view user added image then me.

# 82 24-02-2008 , 08:08 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by AikoWorld
smooth out the sails

try to make the sails translucence

also the sails colour could use a more yellow/braun/orange tint

the wood board should be along side the boat (the deck)

the angle of the view makes the boat look miniature.

the waves could use some differences.

the wood texture looks a bit flat, no realism.

Anyways keep it up, don`t update if you have a different view user added image then me.

I can smooth out the sails and try to put some transparency on it. Don't really know what you mean about the boards… you mean the ones on the deck should be going horizontal (in the view that it's set up for)? The waves actually look fine to me. I've been studying how water acts in large bodies, and it does look repetitious in the real world.

About the ship looking small and the flatness, it's because of the size of the image. These small Quantel NTSC preset sizes don't do it any justice. user added image

Thanks for the crits, I'll try to get them finished off tomorrow, as I have some things to do tonight… :zzz:

# 83 24-02-2008 , 08:23 PM
it's not too bad, but as others have said, the sails are letting this down. also, again, the boat is sitting way too high in the water. a good bit of the boat would be under water - at the moment it just looks like it's really light. keep at it!

Last edited by arran; 25-02-2008 at 07:13 AM.
# 84 25-02-2008 , 02:01 AM
Subscriber
yes the floorboards should go horizontally, as far as i can remember wooden ships

# 85 25-02-2008 , 12:47 PM
Jr.Who
Just smoothed out the sails, put some transparency on them, changed their color, fixed the deck, and put the ship down some more.

Aiko, I was thinking about it being too small again and I think it's because Kurt always goes for that cartoony look in his projects.

C&C appreciated.
user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 86 25-02-2008 , 01:01 PM
yep - that's already looking a ton better! user added image

# 87 25-02-2008 , 01:13 PM
Subscriber
jup that looks much better, very cool man user added image

keep up the good work.

# 88 25-02-2008 , 01:23 PM
Subscriber
looks really good ..only thing ..maybe just me ..the sail at the very front ...too me just looks out of place. .maybe not even have it or it is how the sail is attached ..but great work mate

# 89 25-02-2008 , 05:21 PM
Jr.Who
Thanks a lot guys! I'll be updating the website tomorrow with the smoothed out HD images.
user added image

# 90 26-02-2008 , 04:29 AM
There are some things you can do to make it look big.

One is to put the camera under the object to look up to it.

Another trick is to have other objects in the scene that the viewer know the real size of and can compare other objects to. For example humans, birds etc.