Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 12-01-2003 , 03:47 PM
Subscriber

Polygonal Modeling Error

Why does this hapen, when i try to subdivide a face? This hapenned to me when i was trying to work in the hammer tutorial, that comes with the Maya 4.5 Learning Edition!user added image

# 2 12-01-2003 , 06:27 PM
The Maya Mountain
I think I've seen that before. Undo the subdivide and make sure you don't have vertices on top of each other. You can tell by turning on your polycount HUD (Display > Heads Up Display > Polycount).

If you do a marquee selection around what appears to be a single vertices and the PolyCount HUD tells you that you are selecting 2 or more vertices in that spot, you'll need merge those vertices together.

That's one idea anyway. It could be something else.

# 3 12-01-2003 , 07:13 PM
Subscriber

Same error

thx a lot Mike, i've done what u said but its getting worse, i dont know whts going on! user added image

# 4 12-01-2003 , 08:22 PM
The Maya Mountain
It's hard for me to tell what might've caused it without being there.... perhaps start over? Try again?

# 5 12-01-2003 , 08:28 PM
Subscriber
Yep. That's what I would recomend. You should master modeling the hammer the correct way from the beginning so you don't run into this problem in the future. If, however, you don't want to...

1) select all the faces of the handle and delet them.
2) select what's left of the hammer and choose Edit Polygons>Fill Hole.
3) select the bottom face of the hammer and choose Edit Polygons>Extrude Face.
4) Try subdividing again.

# 6 12-01-2003 , 08:57 PM
Subscriber
theres something weird about the way maya smoothes faces, sometimes it likes triangles, other times it likes quads, thats where triangulate and quadrangulate come in handy
with this, i think its just a fault with maya not knowing how you want the thing to be subdivided, so it takes an "educated" guess. its happened to me before, tho im not sure whether its a different situation, but its not ur fault, try moving the vertices around before you subdiv

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 7 12-01-2003 , 11:36 PM
Subscriber
Thanks alot for your help guys, this was the 2nd time that i tryed to do the hammer and i know that ive done everything 'by the book', but ill try once more with your tips! user added image
Ill let you know if that solved anything!
I HOPE SO! :bgreen:

# 8 13-01-2003 , 12:44 AM
Subscriber
Hey guys, i think the problem is solved! :banana:
I mixed up all your tips and voilá!!
I deleted all the faces, except 1 ( a good one), of the handle, then i extruded to de oposite position! In that process, a face at the top of the handle was created! So, i deleted all the remain faces except that one, and extruded to the bottom of the handle! Then i subdivided the faces and ...:p you know the rest!

THX GUYS FOR UR TIPS!!