Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 76 19-11-2010 , 03:55 AM
I just noticed the bottom bottle release level went missing. I grabbed it from a backup file. I think I lost it when I was trying to get rid of the mysterious selection set node. I will have to take a full inventory to see if anything else has gone missing.

I should have the UV's done by tomorrow. I sure wish I knew how to texture paint. I am dreading photoshop it gives me indigestion just thinking of having to use it. lol.

I need to get Jay over here for a weekend of drunken debauchery and some texture painting lessons.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 77 19-11-2010 , 04:43 AM
Lifetime Member
Well that would be interesting ct!! drunk! you! naaaawwwww

Grab Kurts tut (if you havent already got it) on the character design...that will help.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 78 20-11-2010 , 10:07 AM
Administrator
Just posted in your other thread, trying to get away from the texture painting I take ituser added image.

I'm thinking the same as David that model is so nice it will be difficult to do it justice with a texture. I remember seeing a sand speeder on your site and I just watched the tutorial now so it got me thinking about this model as well. In part 11 Jay goes over some really good techniques for creating metallic surfaces in Photoshop, I think it would cover what you need. Do you have the tut? If not let us know and we'll give you the part for model of the month so you can get started no excusesuser added image

A good site for downloading good quality high res textures is cgtextures.com I've picked up a lot of nice things from there.

# 79 20-11-2010 , 10:26 AM
Haha! You guessed it. I had to take a break from the UV's they are almost done. But you are correct, the closer I get to actually having to open photoshop the more I look for ways of putting it off. user added image

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 80 20-11-2010 , 11:05 AM
Administrator
I can see why, I'm not a huge fan of texture painting either. A few months back David got me a tablet, I thought it was the best birthday gift ever and spent days happily drawing on my cartoon strip. Then of course came the ulterior motive, he wanted a second color map for the spitfire so he could fly multiple spits around in Maya, and because I like to paint he thought it was right up my street. I think I got through one wing before I almost died of boredom and started to try and find an alternative way of creating damaged camouflage paint with proceduralsuser added image

So if you don't like it, try learning how to work with these instead. It's difficult to get exactly the result you want for something like this it's more commonly used for larger environments, but you can get a good base and convert to bitmap and then add small imperfections for specifics. I know I keep banging on about them but I've seen people who are really good at using procedurals come up with some amazing stuff. And it can really save you a lot of time so it's worth looking into.

# 81 20-11-2010 , 11:20 AM
Lifetime Member
Miss_Nova!! I am shocked at your aversion to releasing the potential Picasso within you!!! My goodness...tablet and all provided as well! LOL and then using sneaky stealth tactics...tut tut.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 82 20-11-2010 , 11:22 AM
The thin red line
You can bake out colour and occlusion maps from maya then to be toutched up in photoshop, the occlusion can have filters applied in photoshop to get other textures I wish there was a opposit to occlusion as you could then put ware on the edges.............dave

# 83 20-11-2010 , 11:43 AM
There are two things that make me put off texturing. One is the photoshop UI. I don't know why but it is like my kryptonite. I really hate it.

The other is that photoshop is a paint program and painting i more then just slapping on matching colors. Like painting with oils there is a lot of technique that only comes from practice and training.

My problem is I put off the practice and can't really find any good training. Then when I have to actually paint I get overwhelmed and give up.

One the bright side I am getting better at UV'ing so if I can lure Jay over here and watch him paint up one of my models I'll be all set!