Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 08-04-2011 , 11:19 AM
Subscriber

Group Scaling

Hello,

I have got a bit of a problem with scaling groups.

Basically, I have modelled nine spheres, all different sizes, in a specific layout and want to downsize them proportionally. That bit's fine, but after I have done that I want to be able to see their new individual scaled size. At the moment their individual scale doesn't change, because I suppose I am just scaling the "group"?!

E.g. I have sphere scaled to 5x5x5 among 8 other spheres of different sizes. I group them, and that grouped scale is now set to 1, I scale that group down to 0.5, but when I inspect the sphere after that, the scale is still 5x5x5, but I want it to show 2.5x2.5x2.5.

Is there any way for the scale information of the individual spheres to update with the grouped scale?

Hopefully it's not too much of a stupid question, and any help is greatly appreciated,
Regards,
Adam.

# 2 08-04-2011 , 11:39 AM
Doesn't really work like that, transforms in 3D work with matrix math so the numbers you are seeing are absolutely correct.
To see the relative you have to unparent the spheres, by default maya will preserve the transformations made which will now be represented in world space.

You could also do a parent + scale constraint, which performs similar math but connects it directly into the transforms of the child, these changes be represented in the objects space rather than just the parents.

In parenting
ChildPosition = WorldMatrix*ParentMatrix*ChildMatrix
In constraints
Child Position = World Matrix*ParentMatrix*OffsetSettings=ChildMatrix

FX supervisor - double negative
# 3 09-04-2011 , 06:06 PM
Subscriber
Ok, I think I understand... So, once the objects are parented or grouped, they take on the space of the parents or groups and preserve their transformations?

It's not absolutely essential to have this information and I've learnt to get around my problem - I was just looking for a way to save time calculating scales, proportions etc...

Thanks for your help!

# 4 10-04-2011 , 11:00 AM
Correct!!!

FX supervisor - double negative