Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 06-10-2015 , 09:02 AM

How good is this post-apocalyptic scene? part 2

Hello everyone,
Thank you so much for your support, advice and contributions on my last work, I really appreciate it... Here is the new modification I made to the scene.

I know it takes a very high standard system to achieve a realistic environment with a decent and tolerable render time. I don't have that so I'm not trying to, I just want to achieve kind of a semi-realistic look. Something that would look realistic at a first glance, you know what I mean

Thank you for your support...

Code:
Gen
Code:
husbyhogan

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 07-10-2015 , 12:38 PM
Subscriber
Hey Luciferrrrr ;-)
Wow, much improved and very detailed. Scene looks much more interesting.
I really like how mother nature is taking back the urban area.
And the facades are looking more realistic with the signboards.
I still have an issue with sizes.(sorry to be particular with this, but I think the right sizes are important for the realistic look) The cars seem ok now comparing to the buildings but the road lanes seem too wide for a car. I just checked and depending on country and of course type of the street/road the width of one lane varies from 2.5 up to 3.6 m, the smaller size for for in-town roads, the bigger size for highways. Here it looks like the lanes are on the bigger size. A salon car has approx a width of 2.1 m. In comparison the lane width looks bigger. What I would do is raising a middle island between the two directions maybe 1 m in width, and shift the marking, so that the lanes are getting smaller.
One other thing, some items like the bus station, the road marking and the lamp posts look still like brand new. Somebody came after the apocalypse and did some refurbishment and painting ;-). What do you think? All over very much improved and interesting, you put a lot of effort in. Keep it up!!!

# 3 07-10-2015 , 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Huge improvement! The overgrowth makes it seem more like an abandoned civilization. You can dirty things up a bit more in post with some grunge brushes, like the trash cans, cars and bus stop and add some depth with subtle environment fog. Sponge and dodge some objects to make them appear sun bleached etc, little things like that add up. Have you experimented with lower viewing and light angles? Would be interesting I think. Anyway, looking tons better, keep going!

- Genny
# 4 12-10-2015 , 07:43 AM

Hey Luciferrrrr ;-)
Wow, much improved and very detailed. Scene looks much more interesting.
I really like how mother nature is taking back the urban area.
And the facades are looking more realistic with the signboards.
I still have an issue with sizes.(sorry to be particular with this, but I think the right sizes are important for the realistic look) The cars seem ok now comparing to the buildings but the road lanes seem too wide for a car. I just checked and depending on country and of course type of the street/road the width of one lane varies from 2.5 up to 3.6 m, the smaller size for for in-town roads, the bigger size for highways. Here it looks like the lanes are on the bigger size. A salon car has approx a width of 2.1 m. In comparison the lane width looks bigger. What I would do is raising a middle island between the two directions maybe 1 m in width, and shift the marking, so that the lanes are getting smaller.
One other thing, some items like the bus station, the road marking and the lamp posts look still like brand new. Somebody came after the apocalypse and did some refurbishment and painting ;-). What do you think? All over very much improved and interesting, you put a lot of effort in. Keep it up!!!

Haha! You're funny... Thanks Alot for the encouragement and observation... I really appreciate it and will make all those corrections you suggested...

# 5 12-10-2015 , 07:46 AM

Huge improvement! The overgrowth makes it seem more like an abandoned civilization. You can dirty things up a bit more in post with some grunge brushes, like the trash cans, cars and bus stop and add some depth with subtle environment fog. Sponge and dodge some objects to make them appear sun bleached etc, little things like that add up. Have you experimented with lower viewing and light angles? Would be interesting I think. Anyway, looking tons better, keep going!

Thanks a million Gen... I'll look that up and see what it means so I can incorporate it... I really appreciate your encouragement and will effect those changes you pointed out.. .

Cheers

# 6 12-10-2015 , 08:59 AM
Subscriber
Most Welcome, and like Gen said, try to render from a different angle. Maybe the viewer can stand directly in all this "mess" and looks along the street ;-)
Great Work!

# 7 14-10-2015 , 01:50 PM
Code:
husbyhogan
Code:
Gen
Hey guys,

Hey guys, here is the corrected scene... Frankly I do not know what else to tweak user added image

I'm gonna include fog and dust effect in after effect during that stage of production because I don't wanna overstretch the render time...

So.. . What do you think, is it good enough to move on to my characters?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by luciferr; 14-10-2015 at 01:56 PM.
# 8 15-10-2015 , 07:04 AM
Subscriber
Yes, I would say so.
Put some Zombies in ;-) !!!!

# 9 15-10-2015 , 10:09 PM

Yes, I would say so.
Put some Zombies in ;-) !!!!

Hehe... Got it user added image

# 10 16-10-2015 , 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Oh yes that angle is much better! Definitely a more involved shot, like I'm there and should be careful. Some texture issues on the taxi though. Also I'm curious, what are your reasons for using mid day lighting?

- Genny
# 11 19-10-2015 , 06:45 AM

Oh yes that angle is much better! Definitely a more involved shot, like I'm there and should be careful. Some texture issues on the taxi though. Also I'm curious, what are your reasons for using mid day lighting?

Thanks for your response... I will get a reference image and see how a rusting taxi would look and fix it.. .

And there are no technical reasons why I actually chose a daylight setting... I just thought my scene, animation and characters would be seen and appreciated better if it was daylight... What do you think?

# 12 19-10-2015 , 05:47 PM
Subscriber
I think what Gen means is, that the texture on the front hood is too large and the texture on the front above the headlights is stretched, booth you should be able to fix in the UV-editor.

# 13 19-10-2015 , 06:56 PM
Lifetime Member
I don't know what your goal is with this scene, but I suggest trying to add more detail. Detail as in textures, lighting etc.

Overall scene is looking good, keep going!

Creativity is limitless
# 14 20-10-2015 , 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
I meant mid day specifically, not just general daylight. That's the thing with lighting, its a major factor in determining the mood of the shot so it should be approached with some consideration. Mid day sun creates short shadows because they are directly under objects which helps to flatten out the look of the shot and depending on the direction you take the color palette, it can also help to give the impression of an unfriendly or even harsh environment. This may or may not be desirable to you.

This kind of lighting also creates hard lines and shadows on people's faces (which is why photographers take measures like using shade and reflectors and diffusers to bounce/scatter light and soften up portraits under these conditions). One again, this effect may or may not what you want (since all shots of people aren't necessarily meant to be glamorous). Just things to think about.Check out some photography and cinematography tips too, it can help take your work to the next level.

Long story short. Ask yourself what kind of mood you are trying to set.

- Genny
# 15 22-10-2015 , 06:46 PM
Hmm... Thanks guys... I will try to reduce your disappointment of my next work to the minimum possible...

I really appreciate your help thus far...

Cheers