SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / Rotating multiple objects around world space

Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge Please post in this section ONLY if your question doesn't fit in anywhere else on the forum, or if you're not sure which section it's relevant to. We also have Free streaming trial available.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

15-04-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
petersrin

Rotating multiple objects around world space
I have a bunch of animation controls attached to lattice clusters. I'd like to be able to select them and rotate them around a single center, mimicking the rotation of a group or a bunch of objects all with the same pivots. Unfortunately, most people recommend the grouping or changing of pivots as I mentioned above, but considering everything's rigged together already, I'd rather not change the pivots or hierarchy. Is there another way? I feel like I used to be able to do it but maybe not.
15-04-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
stwert
EduSciVis-er

You could create another control and parent constrain the other controls to it, so that they act like they are in a group, but the hierarchy doesn't change.
15-04-2012, 03:33 AM   #3
petersrin

Yeah, that was my thought too, but it's not always gonna be the same controls I want to rotate together, so I was hoping I was just missing a setting in the tool options window or something, since it seems like a common action. Or am I just being too resistant to grouping?
15-04-2012, 04:02 AM   #4
NextDesign
Technical Director

If you don't want to group, you could create a locator, and use parent constraints instead.
15-04-2012, 05:24 AM   #5
petersrin

I guess I could do stuff like that on the fly. as I'll be doing it often with different controls, I'll probably want to write a script for it, and then delete the locator once I'm done with it or something.
15-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
NextDesign
Technical Director

Or just leave it in. It isn't hurting anything.