SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / PaintFX, particle, fluid and light fog problem.

Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge Please post in this section ONLY if your question doesn't fit in anywhere else on the forum, or if you're not sure which section it's relevant to. We also have Free streaming trial available.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

03-01-2004, 02:29 AM   #1
JohnWhite

PaintFX, particle, fluid and light fog problem.
Please help:

I try to make the nature scene with PaitFX grass and trees with a particle (or fluid) "fog". But when I render the scene all PainFX objects on the “top” of the "fog". Also similar problem with Light Fog, it doesn’t work properly.

I try to “play” with zbuffer. But possible I do something wrong.
Also try to use rendering passes, again nothing.

Thanks.
03-01-2004, 04:42 AM   #2
ragecgi

Well, By nature, we all know that PFX is a post-process.
By that, I mean that the Maya sw renderer renders the strokes AFTER everything else, AND over-top the image.

AND THAT SUCKS! ...on so many levels! hehe...

I remember a compositing tutorial on the Alias site that dealt with this, but due to thier redesign, it is not back up yet.

If you have Maya 5, you can convert your PaintFX to polys, and it should work just fine.

If not, then compositing using a z depth pass is required to pull this off.

Anyone else have any other tips?
04-01-2004, 10:22 AM   #3
dirack

Rage is right, I think the only thing you can do ( if you can :p ) is to convert the paint into poly's. Perhaps there are some options under Rendering Globals about paint effects that you can change.. I'll look into it this evening.