Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 09-06-2014 , 09:09 PM

Compositions

This is my first 3D scenes. Would like to here some opinion. Thank you

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 10-06-2014 , 01:04 AM
Super Moderator
These aren't bad for first works. I'll get into the technical critique in a minute but the first thing I noticed was the composition of the renders themselves. I'm unsure about the focal point in most of the images, especially image 2. Check out the Rule of Thirds(it's not set in stone but it helps), this video is short and informative.
Rule of thirds on Vimeo

Now on to a few technical details! Some of the textures are not high enough resolution for the shots so they're blurring and there is a bit of texture stretching on the landscape so you may need to check the proportions on your UVs. As for the surface shading, all the surfaces are very matte, experiment with a specular shader like Blinn, try mapping textures to the bump and specular channels, with some subtlety, it can make the models more believable. Also something you have to watch out for is having obvious duplicates, like the structures in image 3. You can try using a triple switch node to make any given shader use a different color map for each object.

On the lighting front, I'd say some indirect illumination is needed but honestly, lighting in Maya can be a heavy load and I'd rather not get into all that as it's not my intent to overwhelm you(which can be difficult when giving detailed critique).

Anyway, you're off to a good start, keep at it!

- Genny
# 3 10-06-2014 , 08:45 AM
Hi Gen. Thank you for finding a minute to reply. Ill take it in to account and will aim for perfection next time. The lighting and texturing in Maya indeed need a lot of attention. Thank you.

# 4 10-06-2014 , 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
With some dedication you'll get it down. And as artists, is our work ever perfect in our eyes? Anyways, hope to see some more stuff from you! user added image

- Genny