Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 21-11-2011 , 02:26 AM
Subscriber

Create Polygon Tool / Polygon Squares?

Hello Guy-

Is it possible to create Strips Of Polygon Squares the same way we use the Create Polygon tool.

The Create Polygon Tool allow us to start a path and close it. In Modo and please forgive me for mentioning it over here again. However in Modo when we select the Pen Tool. I gives us options to create with lines or Polygon Strips.

Does that happen in Maya if so where is this option? I will look around to search for it but thought to ask.

Thanks

# 2 21-11-2011 , 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
There is no need to be apologetic. (it's sweet but unnecessary). I've never used Modo, the trial kept crashing and that chased me off so I don't know what your describing. Might want to throw a short vid in out there.

- Genny
# 3 21-11-2011 , 04:09 PM
Subscriber
GecT-

Yes Modo has the Pen tool with options that are amazing. I was hoping that Maya had super options like this as well.

I am not sure how to post a video of it. However if i were you and was curious about Modo you may want to call Luxology to get them to help you with that trail version to take a serious look around. it will shock you in a very positive way.

However I am very shocked that Maya don't have these option here. I looked everywhere and did a Google search, The Help section and got nothing.

Man If I could just take those tools from Modo and insert them into Maya user added image

# 4 21-11-2011 , 10:49 PM
EduSciVis-er
I think what you want is to extrude along a path. Create a path, select an edge, and then use the path as a profile. Increase the number of divisions so that you can get the right size polygons. Hope that helps.

# 5 21-11-2011 , 11:38 PM
penpixel-maya does not have anything like the modo pen tool but has several similar work flows. One is as stwert mentions extrude along a path, or you can just do a series of edge extrusions manually to create a ribbon of polygons, or you can repeat the append to polygon tool.

Those are your options.

I can see you are continuing to try a force a modo workflow in Maya and you are going to get frustrated. You need to seriously watch some tutorials in Maya, that demonstrate a Maya workflow.

Modo and the Modo workflow is more like ligthwave and as Daverave can probably attest as he successfully transitioned from lightwave to Maya the tools and workflows are different and you just have to let go of what you know in Modo.

Pick a subset of tools that work in Maya and learn the basic Maya workflows. The good news about Maya having a smaller set of tools there is less to learn. You just have to be willing to work with a smaller set of tools and some consistent Maya workflows.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 21-11-2011 at 11:40 PM.
# 6 22-11-2011 , 09:45 AM
The thin red line
Thats true Rick I dont evan have Lightwave on my PC any more, I could say I wish I had rail extrude or splines (a better form of curves)as they are in light wave but theres no point you have just got to get on with what you have got.............dave

# 7 22-11-2011 , 02:49 PM
Subscriber
Great advice guys.user added image