Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 16-06-2008 , 03:55 AM

game character

hey chaps, long time no post by me!

well i'm working on a character for a game, he's a maori and so far i have most of the torso done ready for hands, feet and head.

if any one can give me pointers where i'm going wrong and how to make it better for animation in game then please do asap.

not got long to get this done so any help at all is most appreciated.

keep up the good work chaps!

chris

Attached Thumbnails

... and that's why you'll never make captain.
# 2 16-06-2008 , 03:57 AM
and here's his back, not much done here as i'm not sure how much detail to go into.

aiming for around 4500 - 5500 polys if poss. going to make the head more detailed for close up and fmv, same with the hands so i don't have to make loads of models in the short space of time i have.

any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 17-06-2008 , 12:09 PM
are you planning on taking this into z-brush to create normals if yes i believe their are a lot of polys which you could possibly get rid of im looking in the arms and the back. You should be trying to construct a cage for the normal map.

I your not going into z-brush then you should try to keep it as low as possible in poly count then as you increase edges increase detail. This way you will only ever have the lowest possible amount of edges.

besides from that it has a good silouhette and is proportioned well good luck
hope this all helps

# 4 18-06-2008 , 10:09 PM
hello and thanks for the reply!

it isn't going to be taken to zbrush, at least not at this stage. if we get more time (highly unlikely) then i probably will.

i've reworked his shoulders so the edges flow nicer across his chest and round his arm and his kness now have a bit more detail. dropped the elbow pads in favor of the old three loop technique and generally tidied up bits. his back is still quite messy but i'll sort that in the next few days.

glad you like the silohuette and proportions, i'll crack the head and hands on today and post an update for more crit.

thnaks again

chris

# 5 19-06-2008 , 02:37 AM
Subscriber
can we see updated pics. I want to give comments but as you said, the first pic is in its early stages before it gets reworked. One thing i like to do is start with the head or whatever you want to apply most details to so if that is the body, then start with the body...that way you know where to put the rest of your poly limit at.....

Toyota Supra WIP

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 6 26-06-2008 , 01:19 PM
sorry about the delay chaps, been mega busy.

got him rigged and ready for mocap. we're using the gyro method rather than the cams and it's pretty darn good. the mocap that is, the model is the not the greatest but i have three more to do so with your help they'll only get better!

i'll post some vids or just check out www.daretobedigital.com our team is 'game over studios' and the game is 'smile'.

while you're there give us a vote user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 26-06-2008 , 01:21 PM
here's the render

Attached Images

# 8 26-06-2008 , 01:23 PM
Im using a Gyro suit, pretty good, can be a bit restrictive for some things that you need but its real clean data.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 26-06-2008 , 02:44 PM
The Maya Mountain
nice job! looking forward to textures! I'd say you don't need quite so much geo around the shoulders.

# 10 26-06-2008 , 02:56 PM
what can i say mike, i followed your book user added image

your totally right, there's been a few pro's running around our studio here giving advice now and again and it's hard to please them all. I decided to amalgamate the best serving tips onto one model so it works. next time i'll be a bit more prudent with the poly count.

you have also saved my life with your published works, college isn't like the real world at all!

cheers guys and i'll keep updating more frequently from now on.

chris

i'm such a fan of the gyro suit and the guys at animazoo are fabulous too, hey you guys!

# 11 29-06-2008 , 12:10 PM
well here's the girl character. she's modelled slightly different this time and is a lot lower poly than the main character.

again, tell me what you think and give advice chaps.

Attached Thumbnails

# 12 29-06-2008 , 12:12 PM
and here's the render...

Attached Thumbnails

# 13 01-07-2008 , 10:16 AM
not bad - all of the parts have a nice balance to them - though the arms look a little weird at the moment - the shoulders look high, almost as if her shoulders are hunched - and also the arms wouldn't bend downwards like that at the elbow - it looks a bit unnatural. remember, the arms can only really bend in one direction at the elbow and also that it twists in the forearm.

Last edited by arran; 01-07-2008 at 10:22 AM.