Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 21-07-2009 , 11:34 PM
EduSciVis-er

New system

Recently I've been looking at putting together a new computer which I'll primarily be using for computer graphics and animation.

One question I've had that I haven't been able to get a satisfactory answer to is about GPUs. I think I read somewhere that Maya can only utilize 1 GPU. Would SLI be any advantage? I seem to remember reading that SLI operates as one GPU to the software.

I'm also going back and forth between a GeForce (285 or similar) and the Quadro FX3800. I know the alleged problems with GeForces etc. I just need to make a decision. Stability is important to me, as are speed and performance (who would have guessed?).

If anyone has experience in these matters, I'd be happy to hear some thoughts. I'd also like to know what you think the biggest contributor to fast rendering is (I suppose using mental ray).

The rest of my computer at the moment is looking something like:
Core i7 920 CPU
Gigabyte or Asus mobo (maybe GA-EX58-UD5)
6 GB DDR3
750W PSU
Hopefully a SSD boot drive (but they're so expensive right now)
1 TB HDD

Other opinions on this setup would be greatly appreciated. I've gotten so much helpful information from posters on this site, I'm anticipating a good discussion user added image

# 2 22-07-2009 , 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
As far as I'm aware, SLI is of no use in Maya, I heard about SLI quadros working but don't quote me on that, and I've never dug into it. Since the machine is going to be a workstation, why not just get one good workstation card? And as far as MR rendering, the cpu is key and of course RAM, 6 GB is pretty good.

- Genny
# 3 22-07-2009 , 08:51 AM
Yeah SLI, crossfire makes no difference to Maya.

As Gen said a good workstation card will make sure that you have no problems at all.

Ive got a mix in my Rigs, and tbh I cant see any difference mainly, though when running highquality viewports the quadros are slightly quicker.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 22-07-2009 , 04:15 PM
EduSciVis-er
Thanks for the comments and info.

Originally posted by GecT
Since the machine is going to be a workstation, why not just get one good workstation card?

I think that's what I'm leaning towards right now, though it's a little hard to justify the extra hundreds of dollars when I hear there's not significant speed differences, though I do want it problem-free. So just to clarify, quadros don't provide much improvement in the rendering area, even with all the fancy specs that Nvidia's trying to throw at me?

Hmm, now that I compare the GeForce (285) to the Quadro, the GeForce does seem to have more processor cores, higher memory bandwidth etc... for less money. I wish decisions like this were easy to make... user added image

# 5 22-07-2009 , 05:17 PM
You virtually dont do any rendering using the GFX card so unless your playing games or using quadro accelerated products then you wont see any difference.

I've got a desktop with a 570 and a laptop with a 2700 in and dual ATI 4800's and theres not much difference unless you go mad polys/igh number of textures etc and the quadro 2700 pulls out then with a tad of speed advantage.

# 6 22-07-2009 , 05:24 PM
EduSciVis-er
Ah, I see. Thanks for the help.

Now that I think about it, the largest proportion of what I'll be doing will likely involve lots of particles, dynamics, fluids, that sort of thing. It'll be really helpful for me to be able to quickly play back the dynamics simulations, or in playblast I guess, without rendering it all. What do you think would help me there the most? Thanks again.

# 7 22-07-2009 , 09:15 PM
Super Moderator
Processor.

- Genny
# 8 22-07-2009 , 09:18 PM
EduSciVis-er
Thanks Genny,
So in that case, I'm considering getting a GeForce and using some of the money I'll save to improve my CPU, maybe the 940.

# 9 22-07-2009 , 09:33 PM
If you get a decent cooler and check out the MB, the ASUS I know does, you can overclock thge i7's to hell.

# 10 22-07-2009 , 09:36 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yeah, that's one thing I've heard too... although I've never done any overclocking, so I'm nervous about frying stuff... I'd rather have stability and a good lifetime than a bit more speed, although I understand if you do it right, it shouldn't put too much more stress on the system.

# 11 22-07-2009 , 09:44 PM
Bah!

Ive got a 1.1 gig overclock and its smooth as butter, even under long periods of stress. I went up to 1.2/1.3 and it went a bit funky on a quad core.

Worth looking innto and thinking about.

# 12 22-07-2009 , 09:50 PM
Super Moderator
Aren't they discontinuing the 940s in a few months? Personally I'm still a little leery of the i7s, I'll wait a few months before I start seriously poking around.

I'm kinda pissed right now, trying to get some drivers for my dell notebook and the site is acting sooooo douchy

- Genny
# 13 22-07-2009 , 09:54 PM
EduSciVis-er
Haha, I read "discounting the 940s" and I got excited, then I correctly read "discontinuing" and I got depressed. I haven't heard that... why are you leery of them?

Gster: I'll look in the oc'ing, I'm sure it can't be too tricky (famous last words)

# 14 22-07-2009 , 09:56 PM
Dells site's usualy pretty good, as far as high end laptops go I would always recommend Dells, we use em all the time for mobile workstations and there great, never had a problem and the £/power+reliability is really good compared to any PC and fruit based toys. Though I wouldnt recommend a low end one or a desktop, just the XPS or the precisions.

EDIT - If its the ASUS then its built into the MB so its not a hard thing to do as it has presets (or they did!)

Last edited by gster123; 22-07-2009 at 10:11 PM.
# 15 22-07-2009 , 10:08 PM
EduSciVis-er
Ah ok... I obviously haven't looked into what's going on with the i7s enough. Apparently there's a new core i7 quad 950 which is 3.06 GHz compared to the 940 (2.93 GHz) for the same price, so it makes sense that the 940 will be discontinued.

Last edited by stwert; 22-07-2009 at 10:10 PM.