Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 28-09-2011 , 01:00 AM
Lifetime Member
No worries mate...wow nice work!..Yeh I tend to apply scale and measurements straight away..I guess I do it for a living LOL...USUALLY things are standard..like doorframes..ceiling heights etc etc..so I basically put the image up, grabbed a rule...assumed the 2.4 for the ceiling and worked out how many MM on the rule to make 2.4m...then go from there..I used the door width as a check...and off you go. Yeh the angle is a bitch but you will still get it close...for the stairs I just assumed 1.2m wide as thats the Federal standard here. Good luck with it man

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 17 28-09-2011 , 02:34 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah, you're going to have to compensate for the lens distortion. You could knock up a floor plan in Google sketch or something and then refer to this image for the decor, but you seem to have a handle on it.

It's shaping up pretty well. Some of the forms could be a bit more organic though like the plant (I don't know if there is a cloth sim or something in it's future so I'll leave it alone) and the wine glass (it's bowl is a bit boxy and the transition from stem to foot could be a bit more gradual, especially since it's flared).

Also watch out for that mesh smooth, it can give you a bum deal especially on hard surface meshes that are a mix of extreme sparse and dense res, you end up getting waaay too much geo where you don't need it and not enough where you do, it's better to add/subtract some edge loops to even it out prior, I've learned that the hard way.
Ahh I babble on ^^.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 18 28-09-2011 , 04:52 AM
Jr.Who

Yeah, you're going to have to compensate for the lens distortion. You could knock up a floor plan in Google sketch or something and then refer to this image for the decor, but you seem to have a handle on it.

It's shaping up pretty well. Some of the forms could be a bit more organic though like the plant (I don't know if there is a cloth sim or something in it's future so I'll leave it alone) and the wine glass (it's bowl is a bit boxy and the transition from stem to foot could be a bit more gradual, especially since it's flared).

Also watch out for that mesh smooth, it can give you a bum deal especially on hard surface meshes that are a mix of extreme sparse and dense res, you end up getting waaay too much geo where you don't need it and not enough where you do, it's better to add/subtract some edge loops to even it out prior, I've learned that the hard way.
Ahh I babble on ^^.

I'm trying to figure out what the focal length on the camera was and it's driving me crazy. As for the geo, yeah I haven't really cleaned anything up! lol Just wanted to get something quickly ready for the future. I'm hoping to take this into Maxwell Render in the future to light and render it. I would like to work on it in the coming quarter, but I don't know if I'll have a chance.

As for the plants, I didn't really put much into them. I need to study plants a lot more. Also, I should've gotten a lot more references for this. My next step is going to be getting more references so I can refine all of my models a lot more. Thanks for all the advice! I'll take it into consideration, it's nice to have someone point out my mistakes!

As for the voting… Andy will have to set a day aside himself and post his results. After that, we'll create a poll.