Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 03-11-2009 , 05:30 PM

shadows from alpha

Doubt this is possible but I have a large terrain populated with a lot of trees. They are attached as simple textures to planes with alphas for transparency. Is it possible to have the trees cast the shadow or do I have to make do with the solid black shadow cast by the poly plane.

Many thanks,

Leon

# 2 04-11-2009 , 09:47 PM
I'm curious to know how too.

In the mean time..you can try and add the shadows to the ground texture. I think alot of games do it this way. I say this because I've played games where the trees move but the shadows don't. I'm sure it won't be an easy task to make it look right (or acceptable) but at least it's an option.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 04-11-2009 , 10:38 PM
The Nurb Herd
works fine with raytrace shadows doesn't it? if not you could use a stencil node perhaps.