Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 22-12-2010 , 01:13 PM

Teeth in a Face Model

how do i put a set of teeth in a head model so dat i can animate it with the mouth for talking motions.user added image

# 2 22-12-2010 , 03:45 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Firstly make sure you have a set of teeth that fit into the mouth area, making sure the pivot point for the lower set of teeth is rotating from around the lower ear area where our own jaw tends to rotate from.

You have quite a few choices on how to make things work, but I'll try and describe how I prefer to do it and that is to create a joint chain for the head with nicely painted weights for neck twists/bends and so on. I then just parent the teeth to the rig. I then create my mouth opening with blendshapes in various forms such as open, shout and so on. I prefer to then connect these up via set driven key menus with the blendshapes driving the jaw rotation as it opens and closes.

Another way is to make a joint chain again as mentioned above and also bind the teeth to them, then you will have a straight forward and very simple way to open and close the mouth, you can then again add either again blendshapes or even add more joint or clusters around the different parts of the face to animate the different areas.

hope this gives you a better insight, there is a set driven key tute on here that you may want to check out

cheers
Jay

# 3 23-12-2010 , 12:17 PM
Thanks Jay, ur comment has been very insightful though some accompanying pics would have made it explicit but i still got the points. From everything, it seems synching a mouth is more work than i perceived before. Wow!!! I got a lot of work and a long way to go in achieving my goal.