Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 29-06-2003 , 03:09 PM

Rendering Partial Wireframe/Fully Textured Image

This might be hard to explain so I'll go as slowly as I can. I've seen these images animators have done where part of a character/scene have been rendered as wireframe and the rest is rendered fully textured. Where the two renderings meet, they blend into each other. With me so far? Unfortunately, I don't have any examples to show. That'd make it easier, huh. LOL! Does anyone know how this is done? Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Russell

Russell Bolding
CEO/Founder - Russelltopia Studios
Web:https://www.russelltopia.com
Email:russbo@russelltopia.com
# 2 29-06-2003 , 06:40 PM
The images that you have seen in the past are STILL images right?

Usually, this is done by rendering 2 frames, one shaded/textured, and the other wireframe.

Then in photoshop, you just layer the shaded frame over the wire frame, and erase what you don't wanna seeuser added image

Another, harder way, would be to use a layered shader.

One shader fully opaque, over a wireframe shader.

Then just use an alpha to erase the parts of the opaque shader that you don't wanna seeuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 30-06-2003 , 03:54 PM
Yep, those were still images are still images.. I coulda sworn that I saw examples from Toy Story and Tron but I could be wrong. My question now is, do I just use the erase tool and erase those parts I don't want? Are there any other ways to do it? Just curious. user added image Thanks Rage... I can always count on you for great advice! :bow: :bow:

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 4 09-07-2003 , 06:47 PM
Render the 2 images

Put them on separate layers so that they line up with each other. (Make the shaded render be in top)

Make a feathered mask on the top layer and voila.

You can do this in After Effects too for animated versions.

# 5 09-07-2003 , 07:45 PM
Russel:
Not that I know of...

I believe that these are the top 2 ways that it is done.

But like dann said, using your compositing apps to your advantage goes a long way if used well.

Using the technique dann explains above, in combination with any number of alpha maps and alpha map animations can give you really cool-a$$ transitions.

I believe on www.dvgarage.com there used to be a tutorial about this and in that tuturial, he talks about a way to also use your alpha to drive another layer of a "choked-off" thresholded version of your alpha map to help create an "electric"-looking edge to your transitionuser added image

Could be worth looking at.

[EDIT] The tutorial I was talking about, is in thier "past tutorials" section, and it is rather hard to find, so look hard, but it is there, I just found it.
Problem is, you must sign-up, so I cannot post a direct link, as there isn't oneuser added image

ANYWAYZ... thier tut is for a simple 2D electric transition from one piece of footage to the next so it shouldn't be that harduser added image

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 6 10-07-2003 , 04:24 PM
Oh man, thanks guys! So, would this same trick work with Photoshop Elements or Photoshop LE? I've misplaced my full version of Photoshop and it's driving me nuts! LOL! I'll give it a try and see if it works with those two programs. Thanks again, everybody! :thumbsup:

Russell Bolding
# 7 10-07-2003 , 04:25 PM
Rage, I couldn't find that tutorial you mentioned. I did sign up tho for that forum and I may have to dig a little deeper to locate it. How did you get to it?

Russell Bolding
# 8 10-07-2003 , 07:39 PM
Try this link: (you need to be signed up)

https://www.dvgarage.com/garage/a2d/t...tpast_1_25.php

If this doesn't work, it is in the "Attention to Detail" series, under "Tutorials".

Then click on the "See Past Tutorials" button on the RIGHT of the QT video area in the center.

It is on the "Past Tutorials" page near the topuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 9 10-07-2003 , 10:33 PM
You didn't say whether or not I could do the technique with the other versions of Photoshop or not... LOL! [tap tap tap tap] :p

Russell <---- not trying to be a doofus user added image ...already am... user added image

Russell Bolding
# 10 10-07-2003 , 10:42 PM
Sorry, I'm not really familliar with those apps, but from what I understand, PS LE is a "lite" version of PS, so you might be ok there.

And Elements is on par with PS LE I think, so that might work too.

Dunno m8, givem a tryuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 11 11-07-2003 , 04:28 AM
Dude! You don't use Photoshop?! LOL! Don't feel bad. Neither do I. I just follow the words I see written on websites or books and tutorials and that's about it. LOL! Thanks again for the help. OT here, I'm kinda taking a bit of a break from my project. Saving up the beans to get me a new computer and it might take a while but... hey, didn't I mention this before in another post somewhere? LOL!

Russell

Russell Bolding