Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 15-03-2005 , 03:03 PM

How to paint black.

Can i paint black with the Paint skin weight tool. If i can. how?
Must keep messages short becouse of my bad language.
For that i must ask. Is here finlanders?

# 2 15-03-2005 , 03:16 PM
Subscriber
I think it's just a matter of changing the weight value. Move the value slider to zero.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 3 15-03-2005 , 04:25 PM
The Maya Mountain
actually, no, you can't paint black. The way you transfer weight from one joint to another is to paint the influence on to the joint you want.

# 4 15-03-2005 , 04:51 PM
Subscriber
If I understand the question correctly, I think the question is how to remove influence, you can do this with the paint weights tool, at least for smooth bound skins. With skin selected and the paint weights tool active, select the joint you want to change. In the tool attributes make sure the mode in set to "replace" and the value is set to zero.

Please correct me if on wrong, but this seems to do what was requested.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by mhcannon; 15-03-2005 at 04:54 PM.
# 5 15-03-2005 , 08:41 PM

Thanks

Yeah that worked and i get black in it. But when when i did that everything got messed up and the object didn't move anymore. Now when i go to paint weight tool it makes the character all white and if i make bind skin > smooth skin to a joint it affects everything. It seems that when i even tuch that tool nothing works like it should. So i have decided to move in to some other feature.

Sorry for the language. user added image

# 6 15-03-2005 , 09:40 PM
The Maya Mountain
I like to paint weight from one joint to another as opposed to removing weight from a joint, as it's easy to forget to add that weight back afterwards.

# 7 15-03-2005 , 09:45 PM
Subscriber
Okay, that makes sense, thanks user added image

# 8 12-04-2020 , 10:29 PM

Same, same- but different

Hey Hey, I'm running into a similar issue; however, when I change my value or use Ctrl to invert the additive process I have response from the software. I can rotate, tilt and do everything else like normal but I can't for the life of me get this to remove influence of the skin weight.