Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 06-02-2004 , 12:05 AM
Yeah it was. I guess I want him to look like he can really jump!

Lungs not guns....
# 17 06-02-2004 , 12:50 AM
This a sub-d converted to polys. I am finally understanding mapping, and am now excited to do the beast. Thanks for the cool comments nitro, main, twisted. I know it looks simple; but I want to add detials with textures at this point and see how I can do that way. Here is an update on the carrier - rock!

Attached Thumbnails

Lungs not guns....
# 18 06-02-2004 , 01:26 AM

learning ;)

Here is almost half textured. Mapping is FINALLY clicking for me.
rock!

Attached Thumbnails

Lungs not guns....
# 19 06-02-2004 , 01:59 AM
Subscriber
nice on the sadel. I would still go for something matalic on the horn and handels.

# 20 06-02-2004 , 06:06 AM
Subscriber
Looks great keep it up. I think it might look kinda cool if you added a bluish color to it.

Chris user added image

An idea is delicate.
It can be killed by a sneer or yawn,
It can be stabbed to death by a joke
Or worried to death by a frown
On the right persons brow.
-Charles Browers
# 21 06-02-2004 , 02:45 PM
Thanks Pony and NNY...

Yeah, I have not done the head or upper neck yet, but I do want to pronounce the horn in some way? I was trying to make the grips look like bones, but not too sure on that. I agree, the green looks a little too normal user added image

Lungs not guns....
# 22 06-02-2004 , 03:33 PM
Subscriber
take your time. Its starting to look cool hear. I'v got some textures for bone if you like.

# 23 06-02-2004 , 05:24 PM
OK, I am psyched to work on it all weekend, time permitting of course. Yeah, I could use some bone textures pony user added image

Lungs not guns....
# 24 07-02-2004 , 12:46 AM
Subscriber
ok, cheak your PM's

# 25 08-02-2004 , 02:50 PM

veryBoredwiththisnow

I am going to take a break from this becuase I feel limited within its style; be it a cartoonish character, or be it more realistic? don't care user added image

Maybe I will come back to it some day. I am still learning and I want to animate now, and this is not what I want my first animatable creature to be.

Attached Thumbnails

Lungs not guns....
# 26 08-02-2004 , 10:07 PM
Getting there.

try fine tuning the features and details a little bit. Right now it looks too organic. Use some reference photos of dinosaurs or birds and give more detail to his legs. Right now it looks like all it has is a thigh and a foot. Also, the claws seem to just be extensions of his feet. Create some form around them where they come into the feet so that they look like they're growing out of them rather than just being part of the entire foot.

Shiny is nice but not always necessary. A common misconception among new modelers is that everyone likes to make everything either highly reflective or over shiny. Again, look at some animal reference photos and pay special attention to their skins. I would suggest reptiles in your case.

The saddle is kinda kewl, but again, bring out some more of the details. Make the seat look like its been attached to the saddle, not a part of the whole thing. Instead of those hanging flaps, perhaps some stirrups would be nice? And your rider is going to need some way of controlling the beast. Add in a bit and some reigns for the animal.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 27 08-02-2004 , 11:21 PM
I agree, and am now trying something new... This was a good exercise user added image

Lungs not guns....