Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 11-02-2004 , 11:09 PM
Subscriber

Alias to be aquired ?

Nir Sullam
Architectural Visualizations Page: www.orvatsel.com/index2.html
Maya Page: www.orvatsel.com/maya
www.nirsullam.com
# 2 11-02-2004 , 11:23 PM
Subscriber
Interesting... are SGI hurting for cash?

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 3 11-02-2004 , 11:55 PM
Subscriber
Hey Guys,

This has nothing to do with cash but more to do with focus of both comapnies

"The sale of Alias will allow both companies to focus on their core marketplaces, while providing additional liquidity to SGI" said Bob Bishop, Chairman and CEO, Silicon Graphics. "Alias has been very successful in the 3D entertainment and industrial design sectors, primarily in recent years targeted at the PC market. This sale will allow SGI to concentrate our investments on growth opportunities in our core business".

# 4 12-02-2004 , 02:15 AM
Got this similar notice in my email today too.
(same stuff almost)
https://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040211/sfw102_1.html

This is SOOO bad.

I'm going on record right now saying that if Apple ends up being the one to buy Alias, I'm gone from Maya for good.

Jobs has RAPED enough quality software for my taste.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but if you've ever tried to call AppleCare for publicised software support for a proggy they bought that was originaly a pc-majority software, then have them LAUGH at you over the phone because of it, that is just wrong.
It happened to me personaly, and ask Kevin, I HATE Apple because of that and for other things, Apple has screwed themselves out of a BUTTLOAD of marketshare because of crap like that.

Anyhoo...

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 12-02-2004 , 04:25 AM
Subscriber
Clearly states this in the news release

"MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Feb. 11 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- SGI (NYSE: SGI - News) today announced that it is considering the sale of its Alias graphics application software business and is in exclusive negotiations for such a sale to a private equity investment firm."

Does not sound like a software company.

# 6 12-02-2004 , 11:02 AM
Subscriber
Why should Apple buy a software developer whose products are not all compatible with Apple's machines - as far as I know Maya Unlimited is still unavsailable on the Mac.. ?

nir

Nir Sullam
www.nirsullam.com
# 7 12-02-2004 , 02:27 PM
Subscriber
nirsul, note that they did just that with NothingReals Shake. Bought it, transfered it to OSX and ditched NT-support. Not that NothingReal and Alias can be compared directly. But I would have to agree that I would not like to see Alias be aquired by Apple.

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 8 12-02-2004 , 04:58 PM
user title spammer
Signing up to the "I-Hate-Apple-Club".

# 9 12-02-2004 , 06:12 PM
They did the same with Emagic's Logic Audio.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 10 12-02-2004 , 09:39 PM

Originally posted by train_ucl
Signing up to the "I-Hate-Apple-Club".

I was a member of that club a long time ago user added image.

On a serious note. What effects would this have on maya if it were to take place.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 11 13-02-2004 , 02:16 AM
Do you mean the purchase in general?
Or, if Apple bought them?

In general, nothing, but like any new ownership comes hessitant sales/investments, plus the fear the whole situation strikes in the hearts of the regular customer, and the customer-to-be.

However, if Apple, or one of thier publicly known 12 "private equity firms" buys Alias, well, lets just say, it would not be pretty.

H O W E V E R.....DUNCAN SPOKE ON THIS A FEW HOURS AGO....see below:
(for thos who do not know, Duncan wrote Maya PaintFX, among other things..)

From his email to the Highend3D list:

I would like to once and for all, to finally put this longstanding rumor to rest... we are not being purchased by Apple! The talks are with a "private equity firm" (which excludes Apple).

It has been fun reading all the posts and venting on this topic over the ages.

Duncan

Like I stated above, my boss (Apple zealot, ask Kev) claims there are 12 publicly known "Apple-owned private equity firms", and who-knows how many UNknown.

They do NOTHING but buy up other technologies to mash into the Apple grinder, just like Microsoft and other corporations do.
It is called an "acquisition". It happens all the time, and usualy for the better.

The problem, as you all have seen and very well know, is that Apple has an ALARMING history of underhanded "blitzkrieg acquisitions" that pull the rug out from under ONLY ONE specific group of people, those of us with PC architecture, specificly Windows OS users.

I'll follow Bill G. to the grave before buying into the Apple "SS" mentality.

whew....

Ok, I'm done with this.

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 12 13-02-2004 , 02:19 AM

Originally posted by ragecgi
I'm going on record right now saying that if Apple ends up being the one to buy Alias, I'm gone from Maya for good.

Jobs has RAPED enough quality software for my taste.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but if you've ever tried to call AppleCare for publicised software support for a proggy they bought that was originaly a pc-majority software, then have them LAUGH at you over the phone because of it, that is just wrong.
It happened to me personaly, and ask Kevin, I HATE Apple because of that and for other things, Apple has screwed themselves out of a BUTTLOAD of marketshare because of crap like that.

Anyhoo...

I understand that this would get you upset, but the opposite is true for me. Every single time I go into a store, be it Wal-Mart, Babbages, Comp USA, etc... etc... I have literally been laughed at because I use a Mac. AOL has insulted me because I use a Mac, so has Adelphia a local cable company. At least you don't get harrased every time you are trying to buy something locally to work on your computer. That has made me very angry at times, but I never shunned any store because of it.

But to each their own I guess. user added image

# 13 13-02-2004 , 05:37 AM
Subscriber
wchamlet
I feel for you. I think the hardware for mac's are cool. I like them, I wouldn't have one because of the cost for the most part.

But in a way your not really on the other side of the problem. Those people that are acting like idiots that are causing you problems, are people. This is at the personal level and people's attitudes. Not so much to do with corporate warfare.

# 14 13-02-2004 , 10:00 AM
Subscriber
I think that with the technology getting more advanced every day in 3D software - it is the dream of the likes of SoftImage, 3DMax, Lightwave and Houdini that Maya becomes an Apple-only software which will make it virtually disappear from the market.

If Apple does take over Maya - I do not see a line of professionals buying Macs - as you well know - the big studios use whichever software that is good for them at the moment and do not have any commitment to this or that one.

Nir Sullam
www.nirsullam.com
# 15 13-02-2004 , 09:53 PM
Subscriber
The industry would definatly without a doubt go to 3d max or SoftImage if apple bought maya. I'm watching my long term investment potential with Alias now.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>