Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 166 08-02-2006 , 09:30 AM
after lots of theoretical research work on rigging and skinning I finally finished the model. weight painting took me about 4 hours, but therefor I have my first well deforming belly done.
next thing to do will be blendshapes.

Attached Thumbnails
# 167 08-02-2006 , 09:31 AM
deform test.

Attached Thumbnails
# 168 08-02-2006 , 12:18 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Falott

Good job, glad to see it all coming together now. One small thing, is that a locator or IK handle on the wrist?

If its IK i'd hide it, but if it has ctrl attr's on for the fingers just reconnect those to the wrist ctrl boxes as its tidier.

Cheers, keep up the good work

Jay

# 169 08-02-2006 , 12:45 PM
thx jay

it´s a locator. I need it to rotate the hand from the forarm joint. the locator is parented to the elbow, driving the alongAxis_Rotation of the forarm joint for faking ulna-radius movement. additionally it is orient constrained to the hand joint, for a better visual general view. - I have all SDKs on it too. well, I could have put them onto the ctrl box too, but anyways. the curve box is where the ik_handle is parented to and for translating movements only.

you see I can´t leave this locator out, unless you know a way to set this up with just one control object. I didn´t find a way.

cheers!

# 170 08-02-2006 , 03:41 PM
First I've seen of this model and just like to congratulate you on it as it's just brilliant. Good luck with the rigging...I know what a pain weight painting can be at times. Also heard one guy rigs his entire model with blend shapes...now that's painful user added image

# 171 08-02-2006 , 03:52 PM
thx Lipski. I put aside the blendshapes for today and try test animatin her. it´s fun, I never animated rigged stuff (hardly animated anything ever) and am listening to c64 SID stuff. this one is a funny oldskool track - it´s a tribute to the famous tb303 I think. it can be used with SIDPLAY, PlaySID or other SID emulators that support the PSID format.

have fun!

Attached Files
File Type: rar meanwhle.rar (2.0 KB, 187 views)
# 172 08-02-2006 , 08:26 PM
Falott

I did an SDK for the forearm twist or you could just set the twist thru the connection editor which is easy as you could add the 'twist' side to side' and 'bends' attribute to the ctrl box and then in the conection do for example:

Ltwristtwist - Ltforearm.rx
Ltwristtsideside - Ltwrist.ry
Ltwristbend - Lftwrist.rz

or however your axis are positioned but they would all be in the same ctrl along with the fingers, then all you need to do is is set the limits on the joint, easy

Cheers hope this helps

Jay

# 173 08-02-2006 , 11:50 PM
I did as you said. but one problem is still remaining like in my considerations before setting the hand up with the locator.

--> I cannot find any solution to constrain the ctrlBox's orientation to the handjoint after arm_ik is parented to it.. <--

animation is possible, but would be big time unintuitive, because the ctrlBox's rotation axes would always point into worldspace and not follow the hand. what have you done to make this work?

______

edit:

I looked at your football char from earlier post. I see what you mean. this setup is not meant to have grabable hand rotation. hand rotation would only be accessible from added attrs. well, I guess that´s nonetheless more convenient the the locator thing.

how can SDKs be copied again..?

Last edited by Falott; 09-02-2006 at 12:00 AM.
# 174 09-02-2006 , 01:56 AM
I found another promising method from Alex Alvarez to mirror copy SDKs, explained by mental on cgtalk.

https://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=60033

allthough I have to admit this isn´t the straightest workaround.

SDKs are those blendWeighted(number) nodes in the INPUTS section of the channelbox, right? I really have to learn mel. this isn´t fun anymore without scripting.

cheers!

# 175 19-03-2008 , 12:23 AM
I have shown you an attachment about my modeling's face with front and side views.

I have created difficultly to eyes' holes on the face. It's not good. :eek3:

Attached Thumbnails
# 176 19-03-2008 , 08:30 AM
Hey Fallott

Yeah SDK copying/mirroring is a pain in butt, I did it at a studio I just came from working at, and its not easy by any means (as you can see in the Alex Alvarezs workaround)

I think the best thing on those is once you have good rotations on one side just make sure you write down the rotation figures so they match perfect etc. It will probably be quicker than the workaround set up LOL.

Ancient3d:
Post these types of comments in the TOPOLGY thread:
https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...&pagenumber=8, then you may get the help you want, and wont clog up somebodys personal thread. I'll see if I can move it over

cheers
Jay