Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 136 30-07-2007 , 08:05 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Ok i tried what you have said, i imported the basemesh in z-brush then stored this as a morph target.
Then i went a couple of subdivisions higher and added some detail then i went to tool=> displacement and made a displacementmap, but nothing happens and if something did happen i can't find the displacementmap.
I try to make a displacementfile in mudbox yesterday also but this gave a very strange picture.
The picture below shows how far i am with the details and for a z-brush firsttime i kinda like it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 137 30-07-2007 , 08:55 PM
Have a look on Zbrush central for creating displacement maps.

YOur attempting to creat a displaclemet from the hightest level, hence why its not doing anything

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 138 30-07-2007 , 09:47 PM
Yes i figured that one out :headbang: , thanks gster.
Now when i make de map in z brush he only creates half the model which measures 1024*1024, while i want it to be the entire thing is there a setting in z brush which enables this?
Now i've duplicated and mirrored the map and attached them to make a whole .
I've added this file as abump, but it isn't looking the way i want it to nor does it resemble the z-brush sculpting very accurately, how come?

Attached Thumbnails
# 139 30-07-2007 , 10:24 PM
Whats your uv layout like?

It looks to me either that the maps too small of the UV's are a bit messed up.

Also what are you rendering with as you might have to adjust some settings to get a better look, i.e if your rendering with software then up the tessalation

# 140 30-07-2007 , 10:39 PM
I rendered with mental ray at production-quality.
I've attached an image of the uvsnapshot/-layout

Attached Images
# 141 30-07-2007 , 10:43 PM

# 142 31-07-2007 , 02:30 AM
Yes i had seen the same video on youtube.
But thanks for the link nonetheless user added image .
But the thing is the guy from the tutorial has a complete map with both sides, when i make a displacementmap in zbrush it only makes half of it and does it so in square setting(512*512,1024*1024 etc.), so the displacementmap doesn't match the uv layout, so is there something you must turn on or off in the settings in order to get a full map?

# 143 31-07-2007 , 03:56 AM
OK, since i didn't know anymore what buttons i pushed yesterday i decided to zbrush the damn thing all over again and now it went without any troublesuser added image .
But as you can probably see in the image(see below), the wrinkles are still to wide and the brush is at his minimum(i have the same problem within photoshop, but i made a 1024*1024 snapshot so....); if i would scale up the model in zbrush and paint in the wrinkles and when i'm done scale it back down again, does this help?(i've got the idea that the software doesn't recognize a brush smaller than 1 and will scale it up again).
I also saw in the displacementsettings a thing called subpixols(i initially turned this to the maximum but this would take 30 minutes to generate the map)would this be of help in the quality of the map?
Or must i split up the model(uv's) and lay out the major parts and lay them out seperately, thus making a couple of 1024*1024 maps?
thanks in advance guys

Attached Thumbnails
# 144 01-08-2007 , 03:15 AM
Ok guys i've been making some progress within zbrush, and i've decided to make a 2048*2048 uvsnapshot, hoping to get better results/detail, i've also amped the subpixels-value in z brush to about 2.
And i like the result, the only thing i'm not liking is that when i import the displacementmap it seems to come with his own additional bump-map, because of some minor pixelcolor-variations.
So if anyone knows how to avoid this it will be much appreciated over hereuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 145 01-08-2007 , 03:24 AM
And the details i sculpted in zbrush, there not topnotch(especially compared to others on this and other fora), but considering that i've only been doing this for a day or so, i'm ok with it user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 146 02-08-2007 , 09:29 PM
I imported a fulldetail OBJ.file from zbrush to maya,which contained over 1 miljon polygons, just to see if it would work, and it diduser added image .
Maya went a bit slow after that:p , but it managed.
i've made some quick eyes(I imported the obj into a new scene).

I still seem to have a problem with the displacementmap function from zbrush to photoshop.
I seem to be getting an additional bump because of some colorvariation on the background color.
I've tried setting the dpi of the photoshop image from 75 to 300, turned off colormanagement, set the image back to 8 bit and set it from greyscale to rgb.
So if anyone knows what's going on here, his or her input would be much appreciated hereuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 147 03-08-2007 , 01:16 PM
Good luck trying to rig and animate with that!

Why dont you use the Multidisplacement in Zbrush 2, or have you just bought Zbrush 3? Theres also an update for Zbrush 3 that might help you out as it says something about displacement maps in the press release.

I personally think its die to the head being quite small in the UV space, therefore a 2048 map dosent give enough definition.

Also I wouldnt mess with the maps in PS, are you exporting tiff's? If so I might be tempted to convert them to .maps for mentaL ray.

# 148 03-08-2007 , 02:23 PM
@gster;
If i would make an 4096 *4096 snapshot would that give the detail i need or must i go even higher.
And will 300 dpi be enough?

I export them as tiff's(or targa) yes, but i'm not a hero when it comes to (advanced) mental ray so i don't know what you mean by converting those to .map files nor what to do with them.

edit; I just got Z-Brush3 and somehow the displacement maps are not as defined as in zbrush2 and i will look for the update

Thanksuser added image

Last edited by mastone; 03-08-2007 at 05:53 PM.
# 149 03-08-2007 , 05:54 PM
Are you using the multi displacement mapper in Zbrush 2?

If so what code are you using to get the file that you want, is it a 32 bit tif or 16 that your exporting??

# 150 04-08-2007 , 09:37 AM
No, i did not use multidisplacement in zbrush 2 just an ordinary displacement, i could'nt find multidisplacement in zbrush3.
I found a great walkthrough/tutorial on multidisplacement but it was for brush2.