Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 04-12-2008 , 04:11 AM

3December

Anyone else go to 3December events this year, slightly jarring performance in the London show, just hung out at the bar getting free drinks all night lol.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 2 04-12-2008 , 04:26 AM
Are those the autodesk ones?

If so I didnt manage to make the Manchester one, was going to but I had something on.

Went to the one last year, met up with SI form on here, was pretty good, the free drinks were a bonus!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 04-12-2008 , 04:32 AM
Yup, those are the ones. I went to one two years back and that was alot better, more to see. This was just autodesk shoving marketing down your throat and lots of students wandering around with their jaws on the floor.

# 4 04-12-2008 , 11:21 AM
The Nurb Herd
i was there, my mate got a free copy of fable II and another guy i know got a copy of "essential CG lighting.... for 3d s max" hahaha gutted.

i got a couple of free drinks vouchers from the candian autodesk guy but i had to leave quite early.

# 5 05-12-2008 , 12:22 AM
Subscriber
Ha I was there and talked my way into getting a free copy of Mudbox 2009 - hehe, missed out on the copy of fable 2 (but some bugger stole my xbox360 anyway)- was gutted about that but man that fable2 speech was crud so I left the room and talked to the guy who did the mudbox talk (and kept setting up the laptops). Spent most the night talking to him about how much I just cant stand the zbrush interface and how the mudbox one looks alot better then went to the after party with him and he just gave me a copy and told me to try it. - Smiles all round here. That Candian Autodesk guy was soooo funny at the party. Those back rubs were nice as well.

# 6 05-12-2008 , 12:40 AM
The Nurb Herd
wow, smooth talking!

i'm a bit jealous, i want more free stuff.

# 7 05-12-2008 , 02:03 AM
lol NICE ONE!!!
thats awesome, we should do a SM get togeather next time there is a london event on ! awesomeness!

# 8 05-12-2008 , 03:14 AM
Subscriber
Best thing was I was not going to go - my mate phoned me up that day and said he was driving up.

Best thing is I had aphone call from him today and he has gotten me a free lace job in Jan editing some video for autodesk which is well cool.

The smile on my face :-)

:attn:

Shame my PC is alittle too old to get the full benefit of Mudbox - anything over sub-d 4 and it slows right down

# 9 05-12-2008 , 03:26 AM
Nice one Tweety!

thats one really nice freebie, suppose you could use the money that you might have paid for the copy to upgrade your PC! (even though you might not have bought it in the first place!)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 10 05-12-2008 , 04:37 AM
Subscriber
Well I was wondering about getting zbrush but I just hate the interface and all that picking up and droping of the model - errrr - I was planning on spending about £1500 - £2000 on a whole new system in Feb, as my rig is about 3.5 years old now and even though it can still hold its own on most things Mudbox and some of the newer games its struggerling right now (started about the time of unreal 3/gears of war)

# 11 05-12-2008 , 10:46 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
A Simply Maya meetup would be a hoot at anytime, not just at these events.

Mr Priest, sounds like it was a bit lame then this year mate. Glad I didnt go, cant stand being a wall flower or bar prop, just pointless. Sounds like I had more fun at the Autodesk Maya, Max and Mudbox event earlier in the year....and I just drank tea lol.

Jay

# 12 06-12-2008 , 04:37 AM
Lol i knew people there so it was ok in the end, but it would be dire going solo. Met a mate who works at kuju games and got chatting with some of the guys who work there, i do have to admit though before i bumped into them i was tempted to leave.

# 13 06-12-2008 , 05:09 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Man that sounds link fun. There was an Softimage XSI conference here in Orlando a little while back, I was invited so I went, but to be honest it was really boring. We spent most of the time listening to really young guy (who didn't know what he was talking about) talking about the new features. In the end they finally gave us a demo, and we had to watch the same guy try and rig a dinosaur with this new 'Auto-riggin-thin' And it looked pretty cool, but just when it was getting kinda fun, that was it. Finished. After that we went and sat awkwardly in a small room. It was like every person who was there had an XSI rep to talk to. I was having a chat with one guy, and every time I tried to change the topic, he would bring us straight back to XSI.

Most of the people there were representing studios, so that was cool. I got to chat with a guy from the local EA games studio we have out here.

But in the end I walked away with an XSI Demo that didn't even work. user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"