Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 17-12-2007 , 05:09 PM
Subscriber

Sprites going through floor

Hey guys, I am having problems with my sprites, well not specifically sprites but particle/geometry collisions in general.

I have a scene where some sprites (words) are going to be chucked out of a bag and land on the floor (its for a title sequence project).

I have set up the sprites with a radial and gravity fields to come out the bag and hit the floor, now my problem is that when the collide with the floor geometry they go half way through the floor and I need them to be on top of the floor, as if they were resting on the floor.

I have tried messing around with the geo connector attributs but can't seem to get the right outcome.

Many thanks in advance for any ideas.

Chris

# 2 17-12-2007 , 05:12 PM
Subscriber
Here's a quick piccy to show you what I mean.

The floor is the grey block.

Chris

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 17-12-2007 , 06:50 PM
Lifetime Member
The problem you are having is because the particles are really small compared to the sprite size so the collision occurs at the center of the sprite where the particle is.
You can offset the the collision in the attribute editor to take into acount the size of the sprite.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 4 18-12-2007 , 02:44 AM
Subscriber

Re: Sprites going through floor

do not make the real floor colide with your geo.
make fake floor (disable from render) and let your particales colid with it you will have more control.

Last edited by assembunni; 18-12-2007 at 02:48 AM.
# 5 18-12-2007 , 04:48 PM
Subscriber
Hmm, ya thats what I thought but when i set up another plane it goes straight through it.

Its very odd.

Chris

# 6 18-12-2007 , 08:01 PM
Lifetime Member
Is the new plane set for collision?
Just duplicate the original plane for the ground and move the original up and turn off visability only.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 7 22-12-2007 , 06:37 AM
Subscriber
Thanks jsprogg, it wasn't working off the bat, but I went into the Dynamic Relationships editor and did it that way with an invisible cube and it now works fine.

Cheers again,

Chris