Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 11-03-2004 , 04:14 PM

joining poly edges part 3

Hi, I can join all the verts up fine using snap tool, then I merge all 8 verts together 2 at a time, but when I click and drag the now newly merged verts all that moves is a grey area ( blue in wireframe pic )while the actual model ( in green ) stays in the same place. I hope the picture shows whats happening better than I seem to be able to explain it... user added image

Onc again, thanks in advance for any help

Attached Images

Last edited by juice690; 11-03-2004 at 04:19 PM.
# 2 12-03-2004 , 12:06 AM
Subscriber
I believe you have two different objects that have close to the same geometry. In your second picture, I can clearly see a portion of the green area where there are no edges. Perhaps try moving your model around and delete the second object or try selecting the correct ovject before you display verties.

# 3 12-03-2004 , 09:38 AM

wat make people do what they do

hi everybody who loves maya

about the author i would say perfect

i'm confused on this page can i download anything

vedatzeka1@hotmail.com

send me an email

let me know

# 4 12-03-2004 , 12:39 PM
::inhale:: If I delete the grey area ( light blue in wireframe ) then I can't alter the green model underneath. If it helps at the start of the tutorial it tells you to smooth proxy which generates a subdivision of the cage, I can only assume that this is the grey area. Altering the model by click dragging verts works fine up until I try to merge verts from a newley drawn polygon to to side of the mouth it attaches itself to the grey area ( the cage? ) which then detaches itself from the original green model.... ::exhale::
Does this make sense to anyone... because i've managed to lose myself

What i'm trying to achive here is to join the sides of the mouth together using a newly drawn polygon, I just cant work out how...

Thanks again for any help

Just a thought but could this be happening because earlier on in the tutorial while extrudeing parts of the lips to add shape to them, I then joined edges (of the extruded parts ) instead of joining verts... dont ask me why I did this, but could that have caused the problem?